Below par Rams suffer Hawks defeat

Dewsbury Rams produced a below par performance last Sunday as they slipped to an 18-6 defeat at Hunslet Hawks last Sunday.
Aaron Brown attempts to set up a Rams attack under the watchful eye of Hunslets Liam Mackay.Aaron Brown attempts to set up a Rams attack under the watchful eye of Hunslets Liam Mackay.
Aaron Brown attempts to set up a Rams attack under the watchful eye of Hunslets Liam Mackay.

It was Hunslet’s first win since being promotion to the Kingstone Press Championship as Dewsbury lost momentum gained in their opening win over Sheffield Eagles.

Simon Brown landed an eighth minute penalty and the stand-off’s boot was to prove a key factor in the win as he went on to land five goals.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Rams were on the wrong end of an 8-2 penalty count in the first half as they were starved of possession .

Brown slotted over his second goal after referee Gareth Hewer pulled Dewsbury up for stealing the ball.

Dewsbury tried to get a foothold in the game and a neat chip over was gathered by the alert Jimmy Watson.

Defences remained solid and the conditions, with rain driving into the Rams players faces, didn’t help their efforts to get back on terms.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Dewsbury were forced to drop out and then conceded another penalty, which Brown duly obliged to convert and put the Hawks 6-0 ahead.

Hunslet drove the ball in and when Brown kicked downfield on the last tackle, Dewsbury knocked on, gifting the Hawks a final attack before half-time.

Former Ram George Flanagan took full advantage, diving over for the opening try of the match, with Brown’s conversion giving the Hawks belief going into the break.

With the wind advantage in the second half there was still hope that Dewsbury could get back into the game but errors proved costly.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Hunslet defended well to restrict Dewsbury’s scoring chances.

The Rams were really up against it when Vinny Finigan leapt above Dale Morton to snatch a kick and score.

Although Brown was unable to maintain his 100 per cent goalkicking record, the home side led 16-0.

The Rams finally began to click and attempted to launch a fightback, piling on the pressure and twice forcing the home side to drop-out.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Another set, following a penalty, provided opportunity for prop Ryan Hepworth to barge his way to the line and Tom Hemingway converted to give the travelling support hope.

Hunslet’s defence remained solid for the final quarter and Brown confirmed his side’s victory when he landed his fourth penalty goal of the afternoon, condemning the Rams to a first defeat of the season.