Trojans seal emphatic win in final home game

Thornhill Trojans showed no mercy in their quest for a National Conference Division Two play-off place as they put Stanley Rangers to the sword.

Thursday, 22nd September 2016, 8:00 am
Updated Tuesday, 4th October 2016, 1:46 pm
Ben Kendall scored a hat-trick of tries in a man-of-the-match display as Thornhill Trojans ran out 54-0 winners against Stanley Rangers.

The Trojans had this game virtually wrapped up by half-time and a try from Joss Ratcliffe shortly after the restart had the points in the bag as they went on to seal a 54-0 win.

Man-of-the-match Ben Kendall was in terrific form as the prop registered a hat-trick of tries.

Danny Ratcliffe was again in impressive form and he opened the scoring just short of 10 minutes when he darted between the posts for an unconverted try.

Thornhill built up a rhythm to their play as they scored at regular intervals, not allowing the Stanley team a look in.

Mindaugas Bendikas broke clear and sprinted 60 metres on a superb run down the wing, urged on by the Trojans fans, to score an unconverted try.

Kendall then scored the first of his hat-trick when he demonstrated superior strength to force his way over from close range. George Woodcock converted.

Good handling from the Trojans created the next try. Jake Wilson made a dash for the try line and flipped the ball back into to the path of the supporting Scott Lee, who collected cleanly to go stepping over for a try which Woodcock converted.

Thornhill again unpicked the Stanley defence with some good ball handling skills and support play.

Jake Wilson, Woodcock and George Stott all slickly combined with some deft handling.

Stott ended the move by scoring an unconverted try to make it 24-0 at half time.

Any hopes of a second half revival from Stanley were quickly scuppered by a try from Joss Ratcliffe.

Jake Wilson broke clear to put Scott Dyson away and although he could have possibly scored himself, instead passed the ball inside for the supporting Joss Ratcliffe to cross and Woodcock goaled.

By now the visitors were fighting a lost cause but still the Trojans wanted more.

Bendikas went over in menacing style for his second try of the game. Woodcock converted.

Kendall then broke clear on a storming run covering over half the length of the field to touch down for a try. Woodcock converted.

A pass from Dyson then provided Kendall with the opportunity to go over for his third try of the game.

The pass from Dyson picked out Kendall perfectly for another try which Woodcock converted.

In the final moment of the game Dyson had a break from setting up other players tries, by scoring one himself.

This time Danny Ratcliffe combined with Luke Haigh to create space for Dyson to race clear and score.

Woodcock converted as the Trojans wrapped up their final home league game of the season with a victory which sees them move up to third place in the table.