Trojans march into semi-finals

Trojans Joss Ratcliffe.
Trojans Joss Ratcliffe.
Share this article

Thornhill Trojans 18

Moorends Thorne Marauders 12

THORNHILL Trojans overcame their sternest test of the season last Saturday to reach the Yorkshire Cup semi-finals.

There was nothing flash about the victory and at times Thornhill were their own worst enemy with some nervous play.

However the four tries they scored against well drilled opponents saw them to a semi-final at Queens on Saturday November 26.

Determined loose forward Scott Green was deservedly named MoM while Ben Eastwood and two-try Jake Wilson also impressed.

Wilson opened the scoring in the seventh minute following a high kick on the last tackle. Simon Walker give chase and put press on a Moorends player on the line who spilled the ball and Wilson was on hand to score an unconverted try.

Moorends stormed back and slick handling in a neat move ended with an inside pass to Ryan Rafferty who sped over for a try. Rafferty converted for a 6-4 lead.

The Trojans’ response was swift as Joss Ratcliffe drove towards the Moorends try line. He slipped out a pass to winger Ryan Fenton who dived over at the corner for an unconverted try to edge them ahead.

After the break the hosts soon increased their lead with a super solo try from Wilson who broke from half-way to scamper clear and touch down. Darren Robinson converted for a 14-6 lead.

Moorends had stand-off Shaun Roberts sinbinned for dissent after the try but they responded well led by giant substitute Shaun Carver who was a real threat.

A break from Carver set up a try for Moorends. Carver drove to the posts, swatting off would-be tacklers before finding the returning Roberts who darted over to touch down.

Rafferty converted to narrow the deficit to two points.

Thornhill had to battle hard to hold onto their lead.

An excellent pass from Ratcliffe sent Liam Morley stretching to the line but the referee ruled no try.

The Trojans were not to be denied.The hosts pressed forward again and when a Moorends man lost the ball near his try line Ratcliffe picked up and plunged over for the decisive try.

Robinson’s conversion attempt bounced off a post but Thornhill stood firm to book a tie at Queens, with the winners due to meet Hunslet Old Boys or Sharlston Rovers in the final.