Trojans bow out of Bennett Trophy but title hopes remain on track

Thornhill Trojans 28

Selby Warriors 30

THORNHILL ran out of time to salvage this Andrew Bennett Trophy quarter-final at Overthorpe Park as they slipped to a narrow defeat.

Trojans were left rueing a scrappy first half during which their indiscipline let the visitors take hold.

However, a resurgent Trojans clawed their way back led by substitute Simon Walker, but despite his fantastic second half hat-trick, it wasn’t enough.

The game marked the return of the Woodcock brothers. Chris Woodcock has finally come out of retirement, while younger brother Scott also played his first game after being released by Hunslet Hawks and was man-of-the-match.

Anthony Broadhead made an early break and Scott Woodcock surged between the posts. Mark Hodgson converted to give Thornhill the perfect start.

However, good handling stretched Thornhill and Selby prop Russ Anderson barged over.

Then Selby’s influential stand-off Ben Pearson took a hold of the game. Pearson intercepted and raced for a long-range solo try. Gavin Lighthowler converted.

Pearson followed with a try from close range. Selby’s Scott Pearson was shown yellow for dissent and was quickly followed by Thornhill’s Liam Morley for persistent offside.

Selby scored in the corner through David Makin and they led 18-6 at half-time.

From the restart substitute Walker stormed over and Ricky Mayfield converted.

Chris Woodcock then broke and sent Shane Johnson away before finding the supporting Danny Fisher who put Morley clear to score.

Selby winger Makin sprinted over, before Ryan Eades scored and Lighthowler converted both to make it 30-16.

Broadhead was also sin-binned for dissent but with seven minutes left Anthony Harris took Thornhill close and Walker nipped over from acting half. Mayfield converted.

Walker then strode through between the posts. Mayfield converted but time ran out.

Oulton Raiders A 20

Thornhill Trojans 26

A SPECTACULAR long range try from Thornhill substitute Joss Ratcliffe secured an important Pennine Division Three win under Oulton’s floodlights on Tuesday.

With the sides locked at 20-20, Ratcliffe used his pace to break away and score the winning try.

Thornhill’s man-of-the-match was full-back Jack Stead for his wholehearted display. There were also good performances from prop Lee Smith, stand-off Liam Morley and the experienced Chris Woodcock.

Oulton winger Tom Lunn raced in for an early unconverted try but Thornhill hit back when Raiders failed to deal with Liam Morley’s high kick and Joss Ratcliffe collected to score.

Oulton winger Luke Richardson pounced on a loose ball to put his side 8-4 up at the interval.

Early in the second half Chris Woodcock was hauled down short before Vinnie Johnson scooted over to level.

Morley landed a penalty and he then sped away to score between the posts and convert before Jarrad Trout replied with an Oulton try, which Ian Andrews converted.

Dale Brook broke for another Trojans try, while Lee Brown replied with a try, which Andrews converted to level.

With time running out, Lee Smith broke and put the supporting Joss Ratcliffe away for a try in the corner and Stread kicked a fantastic goal from the touchline.