Super Sedge smash 11 as sorry Barton are routed

Joe Walton scored four goals in Tuesday's 11-0 win against Barton Town.
Joe Walton scored four goals in Tuesday's 11-0 win against Barton Town.

Liversedge stormed back to the Northern Counties East League Premier Division summit on Tuesday night with an incredible 11-0 rout over Barton Town Old Boys.

While club officials do not believe it to be a record scoreline for Sedge, it is certainly their biggest winning margin for many a season as Jonathan Rimmington’s men showed no sign of an FA Vase hangover following defeat to Newcastle Benfield last Saturday.

It was Liversedge’s seventh straight league victory and extended their unbeaten Premier Division run to nine matches, with the win helping them saw move a point clear of Cleethorpes Town, while dramatically boosting their points difference.

Sedge started superbly and were 4-0 up inside the opening 17 minutes. Joe Walton put them ahead three minutes in and Rhys Davies bagged a second five minutes later.

Harrison Blakey added his name to the growing list before leading scorer Vaughan Redford got in on the act with his 12th league goal of the season.

Wilson’s second made it 5-0 inside the opening quarter and Davies then completed his brace as the young Barton side were hit for six in the opening 25 minutes.

There was brief respite for the visitors as Sedge failed to score for the next 13 minutes but then bagged a further three in the space of as many minutes.

Walton completed his hat-trick, while Blakey and Redford added their second goals in the space of 60 seconds as Liversedge built up and incredible 9-0 lead before the interval.

There was let up after the break for sorry Barton as Liversedge only managed to score a further two goals in the second 45 minutes, although it was enough to see them open up a 12 goal advantage over Cleethorpes.

Walton hit his fourth of the match and is now also in double figures for the season before Davies completed his hat-trick with Liversedge’s 11th goal of a memorable match.

Liversedge slipped to a 3-0 defeat at Newcastle Benfield as they were knocked out of the FA Vase last Saturday.

Sedge were on the back foot from the outset and soaked up the constant Benfield pressure.

Joshua Scott forced a smart save from goalkeeper Ben Hunter but Sedge were punished from a similar move soon after as Dylan McEvoy slid the ball home to put Bendfield ahead at half-time.

Rhys Davies and Adam Porritt made last ditch tackles, while Liversedge’s best chance of the first saw the ball flashed across goal and Joe Walton connected but was inches away from sliding it home.

Manager Jonathan Rimmington yet again got a reaction out of his team in the second half but unlike the previous two matches Liversedge were unable to turn pressure into goals.

For the opening 15 minutes of the second half Liversedge were the better team but their bubble of enthusiasm soon burst when Benfield hit them on the counter attack.

Liversedge defender Simon Wood unfortunately turned the ball into his own net as the home team doubled their lead.

The game opened up more as Liversedge attempted to battle their way back.

Benfield soaked up the pressure and broke away to score a third which ended any hope of a come back and their nine-match unbeaten run came to an end in the north east.