Stunning Sedge upset Garforth in County Cup

liversedge chris hirst
liversedge chris hirst
Share this article

Garforth Town 3

Liversedge 5

(after extra time)

LIVERSEDGE produced a stunning display to dump Garforth Town out of the West Riding County Cup in a thrilling clash at Genix Healthcare Stadium on Tuesday.

The tie was nip and tuck throughout and went to extra-time before the Sedge youngsters progressed at the expense of their Evo-Stik North League Division One rivals.

Luke Richardson had a night to remember for Sedge as he bagged a hat-trick in only his third outing for the club.

There was no sign of the drama that was to come in a goalless opening 33 minutes but Richardson’s first sparked a flurry of action.

Garforth levelled five minutes after falling behind but Richardson was hand to bag his second almost immediately as three goals came in just seven minutes and Liversedge held a deserved 2-1 advantage at half-time.

Garforth struck back to equalise for a second time after 48 minutes and there then followed another long period of stalemate.

Liversedge thought they had secured an upset when Richardson completed his hat-trick after 85 minutes only for Town to battle to the end and grab a dramatic equaliser deep into injury time.

Liversedge could have been forgiven for tiring in extra-time but it was the underdogs who continued to play the better football and they took the lead for a fourth time when Jarrad Peltier was on hand to slot home after 94 minutes.

It remained 4-3 to the Clayborners at the end of the first period of extra time and Liversedge went onto seal a memorable win in the 120th minute when they were awarded a penalty.

Substitute Danny Toronczak stepped up to stroke home the spot kick to send Sedge into the second round, which has to be played before November 3.

Liversedge: Hargreen, Hewitt, Rothell, Cooper, Leach, Riordan, Corley (Peltier 64), Hirst (Thompson 86), Bugg (Toronczak 64), Williams, Richardson. Subs (not used): Bartram, Greach-Brooksbank.

n Liversedge Reserves have entered the West Riding County Challenge Cup this season and they have been handed a home first round tie against Boroughbridge of the West Yorkshire League Premier Division this Saturday with a 2pm kick-off.

Liversedge 1

Long Eaton Utd 2

LIVERSEDGE slipped to a disappointing home defeat to Long Eaton in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division last Saturday.

A poor first half display was to blame and despite a second half revival, Sedge couldn’t take anything from the game.

Liversedge found themselves behind after just three minutes when the defence failed to clear their lines and Blaine Hancock drove home from the edge of the area.

The home side rarely created opportunities in the first half but from one bright move Gibril Bojang crossed for Danny Toronczak, who laid the ball back for Tate Williams but his effort was saved.

Shaun Rickford doubled Long Eaton’s lead after 34 minutes when his shot took a slight deflection on its way into the net and it remained 2-0 at half-time.

Liversedge vastly improved after the break as manager Eric Gilchrist moved Williams onto the right wing.

Joe Hewitt sent Williams away but his shot was saved before the same pair combined again. Williams raced down the right and he pulled the ball across the face of goal for Matthew Bugg to bravely bundle it over the line.

Sedge had the bit between their teeth and threatened an equaliser.

Williams was again to the fore as he laid the ball off to Toronczak, who missed the target from in front of goal.

Liversedge: Hargreen, Hewitt, Rothell, Cooper (Bartram 80), Leach, Hannay, Thompson (Bugg 57), Hirst, Toronczak, Williams, Bojang (Corley 61).