Dewsbury Rams end seven match losing run

Dewsbury Rams ended a seven-match losing run in the Kingstone Press Championship, defeating Keighley Cougars 18-10 at Tetley’s Stadium last Sunday.

By Andrew Hunt
Monday, 13th May 2013, 11:58 am
Rams logo
Rams logo

The Rams produced a fine second half display to nil the Cougars, while they ran in three unanswered tries to turn a 10-4 half-time deficit into a victory which moves them up to sixth place in the table.

Dewsbury made a lively start and launched an early attack but stand-off Kieran Hyde’s grubber kick went dead.

Paul March kicked right for Keighley and Danny Lawton shrugged off a weak tackle before flipping the ball inside for Daley Williams to cross but he was denied the try for a double movement.

Sign up to our daily Dewsbury Reporter Today newsletter

Keighley took a 16th minute lead when they moved left and Jesse Sheriffe crossed wide out but Danny Jones was unable to land the conversion.

Dewsbury introduced Makili Aizue and he had an immediate impact, bursting through the defence to set up a Rams attack, which ended with Karl Pryce meeting a pass at pace to storm through the Cougars defence to crash over. Jy-Mel Coleman’s conversion attempt drifted wide.

Dewsbury were level for just three minutes as Keighley hit straight back when substitute Scott Law, introduced as Coleman lined up for his conversion attempt, barged over at the side of the posts and Jones added the simple goal to put the visitors 10-4 ahead.

Dewsbury attempted to respond but winger Dale Morton ws bundled into touch yards short of the try line, while another promising move broke down when a pass to Aizue in front of the posts was intercepted.

Dewsbury started the second half in style and when Keighley kicked out on the full, it gave the Rams chance to attack 40 metres out.

Lucas Walshaw drove towards the line and carried three defenders over, planting the ball down and Coleman’s conversion levelled matters.

Four minutes later, Dewsbury took a lead they were never to lose as a Keighley move broke down and the Rams moved swiftly upfield for Morton to race in at the left corner but Coleman was unable to convert.

A flare up involving Dewsbury’s Karl Pryce, Andy O’Brien and Ryan Wright, along with Keighley’s Paul March, Andy Shickell and Brendon Rawlins resulted in Pryce leaving the field with his shirt completely ripped.

From the penalty, Dewsbury forced a drop-out and the Rams mounted another attack which led to Gregg Scott racing over wide out. Morton was unable to add the goal but Dewsbury held an eight-point lead and withstood late Cougars pressure to secure a much needed win.

Dewsbury Rams: Pryce; Morton, Hale, Watkinson, Scott; Hyde, Coleman; Nash, O’Brien, Jones, Walshaw, Hepworth, Brown. Subs: Aizue, Wright, Gallagher, Cosgrove.

Keighley Cougars: White; Jesse Sheriffe, Haley, Williams, Lawton; Jones, March; Shickell, Feather, Jode Sheriffe, Chandler, Pursglove, Rawlins. Subs: Parkinson, Hesketh, Law, Sagar.

Referee: Jamie Leahy.

Attendance: 818.