Rams slip to dramatic last minute defeat

Dewsbury suffered an eighth straight Championship defeat at Tetley's Stadium.
Dewsbury suffered an eighth straight Championship defeat at Tetley's Stadium.

Dewsbury Rams slipped to an eighth straight defeat in the Betfred Championship as Rochdale Hornets grabbed a last minute try to seal a dramatic 32-27 victory at Tetley’s Stadium.

When Gareth Moore slotted over a drop goal four minutes from time, it looked as though the Rams losing streak was coming to an end as they led 27-26.

However, Rochdale launched a final attack and full-back Declan Kay gathered a pass, bounced off a tackle and raced behind the posts to spark celebrations among his teammates and coaching staff.

Tyler Whittaker landed his sixth goal of the afternoon as Rochdale left with both league points.

The sides shared five tries apiece in a lively encounter but there are worrying signs in the Dewsbury ranks after they were unable to close out the win.

Rochdale were gifted a seventh minute lead as the Rams dropped the ball and Whittaker scooped it up to race unopposed to score at the side of the posts and give himself a simple goal.

The Rams hit back when Moore produced a neat short pass to send Hull loanee Cameron Scott racing through a gap and over for a try out wide, with James Glover’s conversion drifting agonisingly wide.

Dale Morton looked to be on the verge of giving Dewsbury the lead when he chased a kick towards the line but was pulled back by Richard Lepori.

Although Dewsbury were awarded the penalty, there was no further punishment for Lepori for denying a clear scoring opportunity.

Whittaker landed a long range penalty goal before the Rams hit back to take the lead as Dominic Speakman slipped a pass out to send loose forward Aaron Brown storming between the posts and Glover converted.

The lead changed hands again before half-time when Hornets centre Setareki Talatuka burrowed under a pile of bodies and managed to get the ball down, with Whittaker converting as the visitors led 14-10 at half-time.

The impressive Speakman spun out of a tackle and managed to twist over the line four minutes after the re-start and Glover converted to edge the Rams ahead.

Dewsbury went back on attack and after Jordan Crowther was tackled just short of the line, Speakman’s lovely short pass sent Josh Guzdek through a gap and over for a try which Glover improved.

Rochdale responded as Morgan Smith’s short pass close to the try line sent Talatuka through a gap and over for his second try, with Whittaker’s conversion reducing the deficit to two points.

Rochdale then hit the front as Matthew Hadden stretched over the try line but although he looked to bounce the ball, referee Scott Mikalauskas awarded the score and Whittaker converted.

There was a dramatic conclusion to the game, in a pulsating finale.

Moore sold a dummy and raced through a huge gap in the Hornets defence to dive over for a fine individual try which levelled the match at 26-26.

Glover looked to have landed a superb touchline goal but although one touchjudge raised his flag, other waved it away and the goal was not awarded.

On the Rams next attack, Moore landed a 40-metre drop goal to seemingly snatch victory but Rochdale launched a final attack and Kay grabbed the match winning try to leave Dewsbury crestfallen.