Rams grind out vital cup success

Dewsbury v Leigh - Dominic Brambani picks up to return  29041073
Dewsbury v Leigh - Dominic Brambani picks up to return 29041073
Share this article

Doncaster 18

Dewsbury Rams 30

THE Rams failed to reach the heights but did enough to hold off a determined Doncaster challenge at the Keepmoat Stadium and gained a second win to move into third place in their Pool in the Northern Rail Cup.

Dewsbury were given a shock when they trailed 12-0 after only 12 minutes but they steadied themselves to snatch control with a burst of three tries in the space of five minutes and had they taken all their chances they would have had a more comfortable margin. But they failed to press home their advantage in the second period when they had the home side pinned down.

The Rams owed much to stand-off Dominic Brambani, who organised matters in great style and kept his side on the front foot, scoring a good try and landing five goals from five attempts.

Luke Blake had an excellent game and was always a threat with his quick darts and there were strong performances from Anthony England and Rob Spicer.

The Rams also gave a debut as substitute to new signing Jordan Tansey at half-back and it was also pleasing to see Adam Hayes given a run-out for the first time this season after his injury problems.

Having kept a clean sheet the previous weekend, the Rams started in confident fashion with Brambani moving them around and Blake almost worked his way over, being held just short.

It then came as a shock to find them carved open twice early on as Doncaster took charge. A 40-20 by Scott Paven put the home side on attack and hooker Paul Hughes forced his way between the posts from close in, Spaven added the goal.

It took a terrific tackle from Mike Wainwright to prevent Stuart Sanderson from adding to Doncaster’s lead but they soon struck again. This time Craig Robinson raised question marks about Dewsbury’s defence when he cut through for a well-taken score and Spaven’s goal made it 12-0.

Dewsbury started to look menacing and it came as no surprise when Anthony England showed good strength to force his way over, Brambani added the goal.

Soon after Blake once more made the initial break, Tom Wandless linked and Scott Turner just held off Chris Spurr in the race to the line.

Dewsbury kept up the good work and again Blake tormented the home defence with his speed off the mark, this time Brambani was on hand and he sold a slick dummy and cut through for a very good try. With Brambani adding both goals the Rams had an 18-12 lead and looking much happier.

Brambani was over again but the referee called play back and gave the Rams a penalty. Handling errors and a spirited home defence then prevented further Dewsbury scores before the break.

The Rams resumed in good style and the lively Blake scored the try he certainly deserved when he did well to bundle his way over from close range and Brambani’s goal stretched the lead and the Rams went on to dominate the second half.

A charge by Luke Menzies almost made the line before good work by Ayden Fall gave Blake another chance but he lost the ball in the tackle and a good chance was lost.

It was a warning to the Rams that the home side had not given up and this was underlined when home prop Adam Scott barged his way over and Spaven’s goal narrowed the gap to six points.

However, Brambani again took charge. This time his high kick caused problems for the home defence and the busy Josh Tonks did well to gather the ball and go in for the try. Brambani made it a 100 per cent day for both kickers by landing his fifth goal.

The sides continued to battle it out but Dewsbury had been warned and kept their line intact without further alarms to bring everything down to the last group game in the tussle to reach the knock out stages.

Doncaster: Butterfield; Colton, Leaf, Spurr, Sanderson; Wilson, Spaven; Bovill, Hughes, Scott, Carbutt, Robinson, Emmett. Subs: Kesik, Ely, Williams, Crawley.

Dewsbury Rams: Craven; Wainwright, Faal, Turner, Buchanan; Brambani, Wandless; England, Blake, Hirst, Spicer, Lockwood, Tonks.

Subs: Menzies, Tansey, Hayes, Emblem.

Referee: Chris Leatherbarrow.

Attendance: 555.