Overthorpe Slip past Inn to seal cup victory

Elliott Brooke scored four goals to see Overthorpe Sports Club into the Heavy Woollen Challenge Cup second round with victory over Slip Inn.
Elliott Brooke scored four goals to see Overthorpe Sports Club into the Heavy Woollen Challenge Cup second round with victory over Slip Inn.

Overthorpe Sports Club overcame fellow Championship side Slip Inn Hounds in the Heavy Woollen Challenge Cup first round last Sunday.

Overthorpe had won one and lost one of their opening league fixtures but overcame previously unbeaten Slip Inn 10-6 in one of several high scoring first round ties.

Elliot Brooke led the way with four goals, while there was a brace apiece from Jack Allerton and Kristian Angus, one from Jordan Angus with a Steve Jordan penalty completing the away side’s scoring.

Sam Ansell hit a hat-trick in reply for Slip Inn but it wasn’t enough to prevent defeat.

Mirfield Town thrashed Hanging Heaton Cricket Club 10-1 to comfortably book their place in the next round, with Tom Ramsden hitting the Championship side’s consolation goal.

Lee Bennett and Paul Smith both hit braces in Navigation’s 4-2 win at The Yorkshireman, who replied through Nathan Alexander and an own goal.

In the only other tie, Birstall Cricket Club won 4-2 against Birkenshaw thanks to a double from Reece Scholes plus one apiece from Joe Lytle and Troy Bagshaw.

Tom Smith and Nathan Clarke replied for Birkenshaw.

Division One high fliers Roberttown Rovers eased into the second round of the Heavy Woollen Challenge Trophy after securing a 7-0 victory against second division Clifton Rangers A.

Nathan McDaid led the way with a hat-trick, Adam Williams bagged a brace, with Dean Vernon and Max Vernon also hitting the net.

Wire Works also progressed to the next round after beating Ravenswharfe 6-2.

Wire Works have won their opening three games and top Division Two and were too strong for Ravenswharfe, who have lost their opening three games in Division One.

Craig Smith and Nolan St Hillaire both hit doubles for Wire Works with Danny Moulsher and Danny Johnson also netting.

Asif Basharat (two) and Bilal Munir scored for Snowdon in their 3-2 win over Deighton WMC.

St John Fisher maintained their perfect start in the Heavy Woollen Sunday League Premier Division with a 12-0 thrashing of Woodman Batley Carr.

Matthew Bugg hit five goals as Fisher maintained their six point lead over Woodkirk Valley.

Steven Wales and Matthew Thompson both hit doubles for Fisher who also had Rob Hiscox, Reece Pollard and Ricky Newman on the scoresheet.

Woodkirk Valley maintained their second spot after they won 9-1 at Heckmondwike Sports Club thanks to a Christy Woods hat-trick, two from Gareth Huxall, plus goals from Jonny Downey, Jack Darrington, Gavin Huxall and Will Clapham.

Kieran Senior hit the consolation for Heckmondwike, who were playing their first league fixture of the season.

Mount Pleasant climbed to sixth place after Faisal Adam and Abdullah Mayat both hit doubles in a 7-1 win over bottom side AFC Chickenley.

Adam Rawat, Adam Ali Ravat and Fayyaz Bobat hit the others, with Michael Chadwick replying for the visitors.

Linthwaite continue to set the pace in the Championship after Courtney Allette and Elliot Wilkinson both scored twice in a 4-1 win at Clifton Rangers.

Wellington Westgate are second after recording the highest score of the day, winning 15-2 at Town Rangers.

Adam Walsh and Kyle Douglas both hit four goals, with Paul Pyke (hat-trick) Mark McSherry (two), Nicolas McMahon and an own goal completing the scoring.

Battyeford recorded their first win of the season with a closely fought 4-3 victory over St John Fisher Reserves thanks to goals from Joe Green, Daniel Paris, Connor Wood and Guy Hollinshead.

Old Bank WMC lead the way in Division One after Robert Evans fired a hat-trick and Luke Duncan bagged a brace in a 5-1 win at Saville Arms, who replied through Kieran Corley.

Three points behind in second place lie Scholes Athletic who had a Dean Commins brace and a strike from Mick Edson to thank for a 3-1 win at Birstall St Patricks (Scot Minto).

FC Liversedge edged out a 3-2 win at bottom side St Ignatius thanks to a Lee McKeown double, plus an own goal as they picked up a second win of the season.

St Ignatius replied through Gareth Matthews and Matthew Askin.

With Heavy Woollen Sunday League Division Two leaders Wire Works in cup action, second placed Overthorpe Sports Club Reserves took advantage as they moved to within three points of the top with a 6-5 win over Linthwaite Reserves.

Tom Hirst led the way with a hat-trick, with Craig Hampshire, Lee Davey and Michael Hutton also finding the net.

In the only other game, Westgate 23 earned their first win of the season, beating bottom side Wike Horse 3-0.