Overthorpe rooted to foot following defeat

OVERTHORPE Sports are four points adrift of Littletown at the foot of the West Riding County Amateur League Premier Division following a 5-2 defeat at home to Salts last Saturday.

Last season’s leading scorer Scott Hargreaves returned but he was unable to inspire Overthorpe as Salts took control from the start.

The visitors led inside a minute when Dave Boote, who was outstanding throughout, gave goalkeeper Steve Grosse no chance, producing a calm finish on the end of a fine move.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Boote smashed another shot against a post, Grosse made a fine save to deny Jonny Cunningham, while Joe Pleasance and Sam Waterhouse fired wide as Salts dominated.

Steve Jordan, Scot Minto and Keiran Bonner tried to set up Ashley Hill and Hargreaves but Sports were unable to create a serious chance in the opening half-hour.

Cunningham increased the Salts lead with a long range shot before Liam Bradford tripped Andy Holroyd in the area and Cunningham slotted home the resulting penalty to make it 3-0 at half-time.

Michael Haley was introduced at the break and Overthorpe began the second half well as Bonner fired over and Hargreaves dragged a good chance wide.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Salts goalkeeper Ian Taylor saved another Hargreaves effort, while Jordan also missed a good chance before Salts made it 4-0 with a neat header from Holroyd.

Sports did pull one back when Hill headed down for Hargreaves to poke home but Salts went up the other end and Holroyd raced onto a pass and slotted home.

With two minutes remaining, Taylor parried another Jordan effort but Hill made no mistake with the rebound.

n Overthorpe Sports Sunday side reached the third round of the West Riding County Sunday Trophy thanks to a 4-2 victory over Thornes to set up a home tie against Inter Athletic on December 2.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In a lively opening, Carl Balfe’s long-range shot was saved by Overthorpe goalkeeper Steven Holt, while at the other end Ash Hill dragged an effort wide after good work by Adam Bennett and Gareth Marshall also fired over.

Towards the end of the first half James Lewis sprinted away from defender Neil Sykes and slotted home but Overthorpe responded immediately as they broke and won a corner.

Jake Harrison’s kick was drilled into the roof of the net by Gareth Marshall for the equaliser.

Lewis restored Thornes’ lead early in the second half with a shot which went in off the post.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Liam Bradford had a chance cleared off the line before Sports made tactical changes in an attempt to rescue the game.

It paid off and 10 minutes from time Matthew Dalby hit a superb shot into the far corner to make it 2-2.

Overthorpe won a corner which substitute Hirst took and Marshall met to put Sports in front for the first time.

As the match headed towards injury-time, Harrison struck a fierce volley beyond bemused Thornes goalkeeper Craig Murray to secure victory and a place in the last 32, where they are guaranteed to be joined by fellow Heavy Woollen Sunday sides Battyeford Reserves and St John Fisher OB Reserves.

Related topics: