Thornhill in quarter-finals

dewsbury moor phil shorten thornhill darren robinson  - Dewsbury Moor v Thornhill  d210811107
dewsbury moor phil shorten thornhill darren robinson - Dewsbury Moor v Thornhill d210811107

Upton 10 Thornhill Trojans 30

Thornhill overcame a physical challenge from Yorkshire League side Upton to reach the quarter-finals of the Yorkshire Cup.

The tone was set after little over 10 minutes when Upton’s Paul Thomson planted a head butt on Thornhill’s Anthony Broadhead. He retaliated and players from both sides rushed in. When order was restored the referee sent off Thompson and sin-binned Broadhead.

Thornhill’s Ben Kendall, played on with a bandaged hand, after the melee but the visitors regained composure the quicker.

MoM Darren Robinson created the breakthrough when he stepped through the defensive line. Liam Morley supported to go over. Robinson converted.

Thornhill held a six-point lead until the half-hour mark when they conceded a soft try on the last tackle as centre Danny Binns broke the Trojans’ defence to score. The conversion failed.

A back-to-one decision close to the Upton line was seized upon by Thornhill allowing Broadhead to go over for a try which Robinson converted as Trojans led 12-4 at half-time.

As the second half wore on Thornhill grew in confidence. Scott Green took play forward and there was also an outstanding performance from Ben Eastwood in the second row.

The first try of the half was again created by stand-off Robinson who dropped his shoulder and set off at pace from half-way to score. Robinson converted.

Thornhill continued to turn the screw with Robinson again at the thick of things. A run around close to the Upton posts ended with Robinson sending out a short pass to put Jack Stead over, Robinson converted.

Long-striding Binns, caused problems for Thornhill throughout the game as he brushed off a challenge from Morley and scored. Steve Beale converted.

Late on Robinson kicked another penalty goal before substitutes Adam Bird and Scott Woodcock made good ground. Craig Holmes went over for the final try after a brilliant offload from Woodcock.

Thornhill are now all set for a Yorkshire Cup quarter-final showdown at home to Moorends on November 19.