Rams suffer last-gasp loss at Town

Dale Morton was among the Rams try scorers as they suffered defeat at Workington Town last Sunday.
Dale Morton was among the Rams try scorers as they suffered defeat at Workington Town last Sunday.

Dewsbury Rams suffered a last-gasp defeat at the hands of the Kingstone Press Championship’s bottom club Workington Town last Sunday.

The Rams appearing to be on course for victory as they led a scrappy game 20-16 entering the final stages.

Workington, who went into the game having won just two of their opening 20 matches, launched a final attack.

Matty Gee came into the attacking line, collected a pass and, despite several Rams defenders,the second row managed to twist his way over and plant the ball down for the equalising try.

Jarrod Sammut stepped up and landed a brilliant touchline conversion to snatch Workington a 22-20 victory which leaves the Rams anxiously looking over their shoulders three points above the relegation zone.

Workington began brightly and could have taken the lead but returning Rams winger Etu Uaisele produced an excellent tackle to take John Patrick into touch.

Workington had the advantage of playing with the wind at their backs in the first half and took a ninth minute lead when good work by Marc Shackley set up Declan Hulme to score and Sammut converted.

Dale Morton replied as he burst through to crash over for an unconverted try.

Dewsbury were forced to drop out as Town piled on the pressure, while excellent work by the defence managed to hold Callum Phillips up over the line.

The Rams hit a purple patch and almost took the lead when Uaisele was tackled into touch just short of the line before Tony Tonks struck with a 33rd minute try.

A Paul Sykes chip towards the line was knocked on and from the resulting attack, Tonks crashed over and Sykes converted.

A neat passing move by the Rams ended with Lucas Walshaw grabbing the visitors third try just before half-time and although Sykes couldn’t add the goal, Dewsbury deservedly led 14-6.

Karl Olstrum replied with a 48th minute unconverted try for Town although Dewsbury almost restored their eight point advantage but Walshaw was unable to ground the ball.

James Doran broke through the defence and sent winger Theerapol Ritson over for a try which Sammut converted to edge Town ahead.

Dewsbury again responded well and Andy Kain nipped over for a try which Sykes improved and it appeared the Rams were on course for victory.

However, the Rams suffered a last-gasp shock as Gee struck for Town and Sammut produced the match winning touchline conversion in blustery conditions.