Rams Shield hopes ended by Bulls loss

Jason Crookes was among the Dewbury scorers in the Championship Shield semi-final defeat to Bradford.
Jason Crookes was among the Dewbury scorers in the Championship Shield semi-final defeat to Bradford.

Dewsbury Rams hopes of reaching the Kingstone Press Championship Shield were ended by a 36-22 defeat at Bradford Bulls last Sunday.

The Rams had beaten Bradford in both the Challenge Cup and regular Championship season but were hampered by injuries to key players, while Etu Uaisele and Lucas Walshaw were unable to play against their parent club.

Bradford struck an early blow when Danny Addy was tackled close to the line before Adam O’Brien fed Dane Chisholm to score after just three minutes, with Lewis Charnock converting.

The Bulls extended their lead after 15 minutes when Dale Ferguson fed Alex Mellor and he shrugged off a tackler to race over at the corner.

Dewsbury capitalised when Bradford were caught offside and from the resulting scrum Andy Kain fed Matt Groat and was on hand to collect the return pass to beat the cover defence for a well-worked try.

Tom Hemingway missed the simple conversion but Dewsbury looked to have grabbed a second try soon after when winger Dale Morton went over in the right corner but play was brought back for a forward pass.

Dewsbury were caught offside and Charnock fed Mellor, who evaded a tackler and grabbed his second try as the Bulls led 14-4.

Bradford then scored a decisive try on the stroke of half-time as Ethan Ryan gathered Chisholm’s kick before sending Kris Welham over.

Charnock converted and the Bulls led 20-4 at half-time.

Dewsbury needed a quick response after the break and took just four minutes to hit back when Jason Crookes was on the end of a sweeping move to score at the left corner, with Shane Grady landing a terrific touchline goal.

Bradford’s response was immediate as they regained possession from a short kick off. Full-back Kieron Moss kicked forward and Danny Williams latched onto it to score. Charnock converted.

Four minutes later, Mellor surged forward and sent Moss racing over for the try. Charnock again converted and Bradford led 32-10.

Dewsbury refused to lie down and fought back with two tries of their own.

A ball went loose and Josh Guzdek was first to react and touched down, with Grady converting.

Toby Adamson then collected a neat Tony Tonks pass to crash over from close range, with Grady adding his third goal.

Bradford had the final word when Ryan raced clear and although Guzdek appeared to have pulled off a try saving tackle, the winger got back to his feet and touched down.