Rams rock Bulldogs in Blackpool

Rams scrum half Anthony Thackeray slips a pass to Dalton Grant.
Rams scrum half Anthony Thackeray slips a pass to Dalton Grant.

Dewsbury Rams ground out a hard-fought 19-12 derby win over neighbours Batley Bulldogs at the Kingstone Press Championship Summer Bash last Sunday.

Solid Dewsbury defence laid the foundations for them to register a fourth straight league win , which saw them move back into fourth place.

However, it was Batley who started the better and could have taken an early lead as they dominated the opening stages.

A second minute penalty gave the Bulldogs good field position but Shaun Ainsough’s pass inside went to ground.

Alex Brown signed midweek for a fourth spell at Batley and the fans favourite broke to set up another Batley attack.

Luke Blake and Adam Gledhill were held close before Ainscough looked to have sent Wayne Reittie in at the corner only for the winger to drop the ball when diving for the line.

Scott Leatherbarrow kicked left but Brad Day was unable to gather as Dewsbury survived another Batley attack.

Having survived the early onslaught Dewsbury proved clinical at the other end when Brett Seymour and Anthony Thackeray linked to send Scott Hale charging onto a pass and he carried two Batley defenders over the try line, with Seymour converting.

Batley hit back when Day charged onto a pass from his own 40 metre line and showed great pace to race away for a terrific long range individual try. Leatherbarrow converted to draw Batley level.

James Craven looked to have sent Reittie in at the left corner but as the winger beat opposite number Dalton Grant, play was brought back for a forward pass.

Rams full-back Ryan Fieldhouse was alert to parry a dangerous kick dead before Reittie could pounce.

Dewsbury grabbed a second try five minutes before half-time when Karl Pryce drove the ball in and offloaded to Luke Adamson, who popped a lovely pass inside for Aaron Brown to gather and race to the posts. Seymour converted and the Rams led 12-6 at half-time.

Batley replied five minutes after the interval when Alistair Leak kicked left to Alex Brown.

Rams winger Jason Crooked attempted to push Brown into touch but the Batley man stepped through and over for a simple try. Leatherbarrow’s touchline conversion attempt was narrowly wide.

Batley piled on the pressure and forced four repeat sets close to the Dewsbury line but again the Rams defence repelled the attack.

Letherbarrow did level matters with a 62nd minute penalty to set up a pulsating finish but it was the Rams who finished stronger.

Batley were penalised at the other end but Seymour pulled his goal attempt and the ball rebounded off the left post.

Dewsbury regained possession and moved left, where Pryce loffloaded to Grant, who brilliantly dived for the corner and planted the ball down one handed.

Seymour made amends for his penalty miss by curling over the touchline goal.

Matty Fozard and Day were both held up over the try line for Batley but it was to prove their last chance.

Thackeray had an initial drop goal attempt charged down but was on target with a second effort moments later to seal the derby spoils.