Rams produce determined effort in defeat to Hull KR

Rams logo
Rams logo

Dewsbury Rams produced a determined effort but it wasn’t enough to prevent a 48-6 defeat as Hull KR racked up a sixth straight victory in the Kingstone Press Championship.

Rovers were backed by a terrific away following at Tetley’s Stadium and the visiting supporters went away happy having seen their side run in eight tries, all converted by scrum half Jamie Ellis.

Dewsbury had plenty of possession and had Rovers under perssure at times but only had a late consolation try from Keegan Hirst to show for their efforts.

Rovers took a sixth minute lead as they launched an attack on the back of a Rams knock on and Shaun Lunt forced his way over between the posts, with Ellis converting.

Dewsbury almost hit back when Jason Crookes did well on the left and produced a neat kick to the in-goal area but the ball rolled agonisingly dead before Josh Guzdek could pounce.

Dewsbury were penalised at their own play the ball - one of three times this particular offence was pulled up by referee Tom Grant - and Rovers again capitalised as a swift move created space for James Greenwood to score wide on the right and Ellis curled over a terrific goal.

Rovers again moved left and created space for centre Andrew Heffernan to score wide out, with Ellis landing another fine goal.

Dewsbury put Hull KR under pressure for a spell but the visitors launched a penalty downfield and grabbed a fourth try when Maurice Blair spun out of a tackle to plant the ball down, with Ellis converting.

Dewsbury almost hit back on the stroke of half-time when Guzdek’s long ball looked to have put debutant winger Alex Brown over in the corner but the final pass was judged forward.

Dewsbury started the second half brightly but despite showing plenty of encouragement, they failed to break Rovers down.

When the visitors were awarded their first penalty of the second half, they made the Rams pay as Rob Mulhern spun in a tackle to crash over and Ellis landed his fifth goal to extend their lead to 30-0.

Heffernan beat a Rams defender and cut inside to score between the posts and give Ellis a simple goal before loose forward James Donaldson collected a short pass to crash over and Ellis again improved the try.

Dewsbury responded with a 72nd minute try as Hirst - on dual registration from Wakefield - stood up in a tackle and had the strength to plant the ball down, with Paul Sykes converting.

It was Rovers who had the last word through as Graeme Horne collected a pass and stormed through a gap for their eighth try, with Ellis maintaining his 100 per cent record with the boot to complete his side’s victory.

Dewsbury Rams: Guzdek; Alex Brown, Barnes, Crookes, Morton; Sykes, Coe; Hirst, Ward, Sheriffe, Walshaw, Spicer, Crowther. Subs: Ollett, Foster, Glover, Igbinedion.

Hull KR: Quinlan; Cockayne, Minns, Heffernan, Moss; Abdull, Ellis; Scruton, Lunt, Kavanagh, Blair, Greenwood, Donaldson. Subs: Horne, Mulhern, Salter, Clarkson.

Referee: Tom Grant.

Attendance: 2,477.