Rams effort earns praise from Saints

Andy Kain scored late in the first half to give Dewsbury Rams a 14-10 interval lead against St Helens.
Andy Kain scored late in the first half to give Dewsbury Rams a 14-10 interval lead against St Helens.

Dewsbury Rams earned high praise afterproducing a fine display in a 38-18 defeat against Super League big guns St Helens last Sunday.

An army of volunteers helped clear the Langtree Park pitch of snow and the game eventually went ahead, although the kick off was put back to 6.30pm.

Saints took an early lead when Luke Walsh’s impressive 40-20 set up the field position for loose forward Louie McCarthy-Sarsbrook to crash over. Walsh converted.

Dewsbury found a foothold in the game and a dangerous kick was dealt with by Mark Percival before Andy Kain intercepted a Walsh pass and sped 80 metres only to be caught short of the line by Matty Dawson.

Dewsbury moved play right and Shane Grady sent Dale Morton in at the corner.

Dewsbury did well to halt Jordan Turner short but the centre managed to offload to send Percival over for an unconverted try.

The Rams responded superbly to stun Saints in the build up to half-time.

Dominic Speakman stabbed the ball between the posts and Aaron Brown gathered to score on his first game of pre-season. Paul Sykes converted to level matters.

It got even better for the travelling Rams support who braved the freezing temperatures when another Speakman kick was spilled by Owens and Kain pounced for the try, which sent Dewsbury into a 14-10 half-time break.

Saints hit back two minutes into the second half when Percival produced a jinking run to the line and Jack Owens converted to edge them back ahead.

St Helens new signing Theo Farges then broke the Rams defence and the Frenchman was on hand to finish the move on the next tackle, with Owens again converting.

Farges fed McCarthy-Sarsbrook soon after and he rounded the full-back to score his second try and stretch the Saints lead to 26-14.

Dewsbury responded well and a fine run by Morton set up a good position for Kyle Trout to force his way over for their fourth try.

Dewsbury had given a near full-strength Saints side a good test but the home side grabbed two tries in the last five minutes to give the scoreline a flattering look.

Welsh winger Calvin Wellington stormed 75 metres for a fine individual score and Lewis Charnock then forced his way over from acting half-back with Travis Burns adding both goals,

St Helens: Owens; Dawson, Turner, Peyroux, Percival; Burns, Luke Walsh; Tasi, Roby, Amor, Wilkin, Greenwood, McCarthy-Scarsbrook. Subs: Vea, Richards, Savelio, Thompson, Fages, Charnock, Davies, Ashworth, Knowles, Bailey, Wellington, Spedding, Grace.

Tries: McCarthy-Scarsbrook (6, 60), Percival (28, 42), Fages (50), Wellington (75), Charnock (79).

Goals: Walsh, Owens (2), Burns (2).

Dewsbury Rams: Pryce; Morton, Crookes, Grady, Grant; Sykes, Kain; Groat, Hemingway, Teanby, Trout, T Adamson, L Adamson. Subs: Hepworth, Brown, Speakman, Conroy Farrell, Muranka, Ryan Wright.

Tries: Morton (21), Brown (35), Kain (37), Trout (70).

Goal: Sykes.