Rams edge through after scare

Dewsbury prop Byron Smith attempts to set up an attack, running at Newcastle's Ryhys Clarke.
Dewsbury prop Byron Smith attempts to set up an attack, running at Newcastle's Ryhys Clarke.

Dewsbury Rams survived a scare from League One Newcastle Thunder as two late tries saw them edge to a 28-18 victory in the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup last Sunday.

The Rams were made to work hard as Thunder fought back from 10-0 down early on and threatened to cause an upset.

Glenn Morrison handed debuts to Will Forsyth, James Delaney and Joe McLocklan with all three making telling contributions, while Callan Beckett and Jason Muranka were also included following impressive recent displays with the Rams Reserves.

Tom Hemingway, deputing at scrum-half for the rested Anthony Thackeray, opened the scoring when he capitalised on an error by winger Tom Capper to pounce for an 11th minute try.

Dewsbury looked to have taken control when Dalton Grant continued his impressive form with another fine individual try.

The winger beat several defenders on a run down the left touchline before beating the cover defence to score, with Hemingway converting to put the Rams 10-0 ahead.

Paul Stamp made an immediate impact from the bench as he was on the end of a neat Newcastle passing move to score. Ben Hardcastle converted.

Thunder hit a purple patch and Capper got free from a tackle to race over on the right and although Hardcastle was unable to convert, Newcastle went into the break on level terms.

Hardcastle landed a 43rd minute penalty to edge the visitors ahead but the lead was short lived as Dewsbury responded when McLocklan’s neat pass sent Aaron Brown through a gap and he raced over from 30 metres out.

Hemingway converted and then landed a penalty goal soon after as the Rams led 18-12.

The momentum swung firmly Dewsbury’s way when Brown’s crossfield kick was gathered by winger Scott Hale, who scored wide on the right.

Hemingway’s conversion was narrowly wide but the Rams breathing space with a 10-point lead going into the final 15 minutes.

Newcastle refused to lie down and scrum-half Hardcastle gave his side hope when he sold a dummy and raced through the gap and over for a try which he improved.

Hale eased Dewsbury nerves when he stretched over for his second try five minutes from time and Hemingway ensured the Rams finally saw off their plucky League One opponents when he landed a last minute penalty.