Rams bounce back to defeat Whitehaven

Shane Grady evades the clutches of a Whitehaven defender to score a Rams try. 'Pictures: Paul Butterfield
Shane Grady evades the clutches of a Whitehaven defender to score a Rams try. 'Pictures: Paul Butterfield

Dewsbury Rams produced a vastly improved performance as they inflicted further misery on winless Whitehaven last Sunday.

The Rams 20-4 victory leaves them joint second in the Kingstone Press Championship after the opening four rounds.

It proved a day to forget for Haven after their team coach broke down en-route to the ground, leading to a delayed kick off.

Despite a disruption to their build up, Whitehaven made a bright start and only solid Rams defending prevented Jessie Joe Parker and debutant Alma Tagayuma from opening the scoring.

Jason Crookes had Dewsbury’s best effort in the opening stages but saw the ball dislodged from his grasp as he attempted to force his way over.

The Rams took a 14th minute lead when Josh Guzdek created an opening in the Haven defence to score to the right of the posts but Paul Sykes was unable to convert.

A sweeping passing move involved virtually the whole Rams team only for Toby Adamson to knock on as he attempted to ground the ball and round off what would have been a memorable try.

The early stages were littered with penalties and Dewsbury benefited when Haven stripped the ball in a tackle.

The Rams attacked and half-back Andy Kain produced a lovely cut out pass to send Shane Grady over for a try which Sykes improved.

Haven were put on a team warning for another infringement and Sykes slotted over the penalty to extend the lead to 12-0 at half-time.

Whitehaven began the second half brightly and Parker intercepted a pass but Tom Hemingway was alert to haul him down and prevent the try.

The Rams were forced to drop out and Haven’s pressure was rewarded when Scott McAvoy met a pass on a diagonal run to force his way over.

Matt Groat looked to have forced his way over for Dewsbury’s third try but was held up over the line by Haven’s desperate defence.

Aaron Brown intercepted a pass close to the Rams line as Haven threatened again and the loose forward was instrumental in Dewsbury’s match clinching try.

Kain sent Brown through a gap with lovely a delayed pass and he drew full-back Jouffret before sending Scott Hale racing between the posts.

Sykes converted and tagged on a penalty goal from in front of the posts in the final minute to complete the Rams hard-fought victory.

Dewsbury Rams: Guzdek; Morton, Crookes, Grady; Grant, Sykes, Kain; Groat, Hemingway, Hepworth, T Adamson, Hale , Brown Subs: Wright, L Adamson, Tonks, Teanby.

Tries: Guzdek(14), Grady(28), Hale(74)

Goals: Sykes (4/5)

Whitehaven: Jouffret; Miller, Taylor, Parker, Calvert; Aiye, Gore; Chaplow, Savilla-Tagayuna, Brooks, Allen, McAvoy, Davies.Subs: Newton, Chapelow, Riley, Chamberlain.

Try: McAvoy (56).

Conversion attempt: Jouffret (0/1)

Referee: Sam Ansell

Attendance: 778.