Rams beat plucky York to make Challenge Cup progress

Andy Kain scores for Dewsbury.
Andy Kain scores for Dewsbury.

Dewsbury Rams saw off plucky League One outfit York City Knights to book a place in the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup sixth round at rain lashed Tetley’s Stadium last Friday.

Dewsbury had a host of players ruled out through injury but started well and built an early 10-0 advantage before York hit back to lead at half-time

Karl Pryce looked to have given Dewsbury a 10th minute lead but was pulled back for a forward pass, while Dale Morton was taken into touch short of the line by former Rams favourite Austin Buchanan.

Josh Guzdek regained possession and put the Rams back on attack, with Andy Kain’s kick rebounding off a post for Jack Teanby to gather and score. James Glover converted.

A lovely crossfield kick by Glover saw Morton gather and score in the corner as the Rams led 10-0 inside the first quarter.

York had made an unbeaten start to their League One campaign and hit back in style as Rich Wilkinson gathered a Danny Nicklas kick through to cross.

Nicklas struck a post with his conversion attempt.

Kriss Brining darted over from acting half-back and Nicklas converted to level matters before York hit the front on the stroke of half-time when Josh Tonks moved play wide.

Brad Hey to flick the ball on to send Knights captain for the night Buchanan over to score. Nicklas converted as York threatened a cup upset.

York were pulled up for offside at the second half kick off and Dewsbury took advantage to launch an attack which ended with Morton grabbing a second try at the corner.

Glover landed a superb touchline goal to level and then, after a period of stalemate, Glover edged Dewsbury ahead with a penalty from 40 metres out.

Glover’s huge up and under was spilled by Wilkinson and on the resulting Rams attack, Glover’s lovely kick was gathered by Dalton Grant to score.

Teanby forced York onto the back foot with a fierce drive and when the Knights were penalised for holding down, Glover kicked the goal to give them an eight point lead.

York tired in the heavy conditions and Dewsbury secured victory with a fifth try just five minutes from full-time.

Andy Kain’s kick struck Mike Emmett and bounced back into the scrum half’s hands as he skipped over to score and Glover capped a fine individual display by converting to seal victory.