Gutsy Rams battle hard in defeat

Dale Morton scored a brace of tries but couldn't prevent Dewsbury Rams slipping to defeat at Workington Town.
Dale Morton scored a brace of tries but couldn't prevent Dewsbury Rams slipping to defeat at Workington Town.

Dewsbury Rams had three players sin-binned and saw Joel Farrell sent off just before half-time as they slipped to a 34-24 defeat at Workington Town last Sunday.

Defeat means Dewsbury remain fourth in the race for a Kingstone Press Championship Shield semi-final spot but have seen Oldham draw level on 18 points.

Dewsbury conceded an early try but battled back to lead 22-8 early in the second and looked to be on course for an away win until Farrell’s red card and two late sin-binnings turned the game.

Town struck first when Carl Forber’s long looping pass put centre Matty Gee over for the try.

Jarrod Sammut was unable to convert but he tagged on two penalty goals, one after Anthony Tonks was sin-binned for a high tackle, as the hosts led 8-0.

Dewsbury struck back as powerful centre Jason Crookes was tackled close to the line.

Andy Kain’s attempted kick through struck Sammut and Dewsbury reacted with Dale Morton racing over for the try. Paul Sykes converted.

Josh Guzdek continued his impressive scoring form when he came into the attacking line and had the strength to stretch over for a try that put the Rams 10-8 ahead.

On the stroke of half-time, Farrell was shown a straight red card for going into a tackle with his knees, while Town second row Brett Phillips was sin-binned for retaliation.

While both sides were down to 12 men, Dewsbury grabbed two converted tries.

Sykes spotted a gap in the Town defence and raced over for a try two minutes after the restart and he goaled.

A terrific Rams move then saw Dom Speakman break and link with Crookes before Guzdek sent Morton racing over for a length of the field try, Sykes converting.

Callum Phillips was on the end of Sammut’s kick to score and Sammut converted.

Sykes tagged on a penalty but Dewsbury were then reduced to 11 men when Matt Groat was sin-binned and Town took full advantage.

Callum Phillips put Tom Walker over for a try, which Sammut improved, before Liam McAvoy broke out of defence and set up an attack that resulted in Jason Mossop crossing for a try. Sammut converted.

Dewsbury were still down to 11 men when Gee barged his way over the line and Sammut converted to stretch his side’s lead to eight points with 10 minutes remaining.

It was a frustrrating afternoon for the Rams, in which they conceded 17 penalties, and Sammut tagged on another two points, while further frustrations led to Sykes sin-binned for dissent.