Disappointing Rams slip to whitehaven defeat

editorial image

Dewsbury Rams suffered a disappointing 42-30 defeat to Whitehaven, denting their hopes of finishing top of the Kingstone Press Championship Shield.

The Rams conceded seven tries, all off which were converted by the impressive Ed Chamberlain as Haven boosted their hopes of reaching the semi-finals.

Dewsbury started well as Shane Grady bagged two tries in the opening 10 minutes, one of which was converted by Dale Morton.

However, Whitehaven struck back in style as Scott McAvoy crossed and then sent winger Craig Calvert racing in at the left corner.

Dion Aiye stepped through a weak tackle and over for a 35th minute try and three Chamberlain goals put the visitors 18-10 up at half-time.

Dewsbury began the second half well as Joel Farrell darted over from acting half-back before Karl Pryce broke through, sold a superb dummy and sent Matty Wildie storming between the posts. Morton converted the latter to put the Rams 20-18 ahead.

McAvoy raced through to grab his second try, which Chamberlain converted.

Pryce leapt to gather Anthony Thackeray’s crossfield kick to plant the ball down and level at 24-24.

Haven then struck three huge blows to the Rams hopes as Calvert dived in at the left corner and Chamberlain landed a superb touchline goal.

Thomas Coyle broke through and sent Stephen Fox racing between the post, with Grant Gore adding a seventh try for the visitors, with Chamberlain capping a 100 per cent effort with the boot.

Dalton Grant grabbed a last minute consolation try for the Rams which Grady converted but they slipped three points behind Championship Shield leaders Featherstone.

Dewsbury Rams: Fieldhouse; Morton, Pryce, Grady, Grant; Wildie, Thackeray; Hepworth, Conroy, Aizue, Spicer, L Adamson, Brown. Suns: Jackson, Nash, Farrell, Crookes.

Whitehaven: Chamberlain; Burns, Taylor, Parker, Calvert; Aiye, Gore; Fox, Coyle, Beaumont, McAvoy, Hepi, Brooks. Subs: Newton, Davies, Chapplehow, Holliday.

Referee: Tom Crashley.

Attendance: 709.