Moor finish off year with stylish win

James Samme had an impressive game as Dewsbury Moor eased into the Pennine President's Cup second round.
James Samme had an impressive game as Dewsbury Moor eased into the Pennine President's Cup second round.

Dewsbury Moor booked their place in the Pennine President’s Cup second round with a 40-18 victory over Brotherton last Saturday.

The win brought an end to a very satisfactory year as the Moor lie second in the Championship One Division ahead of a three-week break.

Brotherton played their part in an entertaining tie and had Moor on the back foot for a time until the visitors hit top gear.

Former Oulton player Dominic Flanagan and experienced Peter Robinson provided a good half-back partnership.

It was a deft kick from stand-off Flanagan that put second row Matt Shaw over for the opening try, which Flanagan converted.

Brotherton hit back with their own converted try after 15 minutes.

Jonjoe Fox made a good break and second row Ashley Boddy drove over from close range to put Moor back in front.

Jack Clarkson gathered a dangerous Brotherton high kick under pressure but soon after the home side went over for their second try and the conversion edged them 12-10 ahead.

Jamie Samme, Phil Shotton and Danny Wardman drove to the heart of the Brotherton defence and hooker Bartley O’Brian had a busy game.

Peter Robinson sent Flanagan over for a try before the stand-off produced a neat pass to send speedy full-back Lewis Holliday racing over to score on his debut.

Brotherton hit back again at the start of the second half and a third converted try saw them level at 18-18 but their celebrations were short lived.

Flanagan went over for his second try, which he improved to restore Moor’s advantage.

Louis Harvey made a good run and Adam Barrett was held just short of the line before Danny Wardman barged his way over for a try, which Samme converted.

Dominic Scanlon, Alex Jeffs and Louis Greenwood made good ground before Peter Robinson sent O’Brian on a 40-metre run to score between the posts, with Samme converting.

Peter Robinson then sent the rampaging Jeffs over for Moor’s eighth try as they eased into the next round in their final game before January 3.