Match abandoned as Thornhill denied first victory



Match abandoned 55 minutes

THORNHILL Trojans were denied a first win in the Pennine League Premier Division when last Saturday’s clash at Queensbury was abandoned 15 minutes into the second half.

With Thornhill leading, playing down the notorious Queensbury slope and taking a firm hold of proceeding, there was a flash point which resulted in players from both teams rushing in to settle their differences.

The referee blew his whistle in an attempt to restore some order but the melee continued and the referee then announced that the game was over and left the field — leaving players and spectators stunned.

Both clubs must now wait to see if there will be any repercussions from this abandonment and if the result will stand in a game in which Thornhill appeared to be heading for their first league victory.

Queensbury will rue the fact that they didn’t use the slope enough to their advantage in the first half. Given the number of opportunities squandered by the visitors Queensbury’s half-time lead of 12-6 never looked to be enough.

Thornhill were rocked early in on when youngster Brad Schofield had to be carried off after only six minutes with a leg injury. After this stoppage in play the game recommenced with Thornhill being their own worst enemy.

Three clear chances were squandered when a combination of poor decision making and sloppy handling saw moves break down.

The deadlock was finally broken by Queensbury on 25 minutes when a quick and short pass put centre Lewis Symonds through a gap and scampering over for a try which Scott Swann converted.

Queensbury substitute Ben Naylor then broke down the middle and showed good pace to power over for a try which Scott Swann converted.

Thornhill man of the match Derrell Olpherts showed strength and determination to reply with a try which Andrew Bates converted.

Thornhill levelled after 45 minutes when Danny Ratcliffe intercepted a pass and strode over. Bates goaled.

Thornhill were brimming with confidence as they sensed victory and Danny Ratcliffe nipped over for a try from acting half-back to give Thornhill the lead. Bates converted but then came the flare up which saw the game abandoned.