Liversedge slip to league and cup loss

Share this article

Liversedge 0

Armthorpe Welfare 1

AN early second half goal proved decisive as Armthorpe Welfare took all three points from a closely fought Northern Counties East League Premier Division contest at Clayborn last Saturday.

Liversedge created chances but too often lacked the fluency of the previous week’s impressive opening day win at Nostell Welfare.

Dave Bordman, a close season signing from Ossett Town, made a first start for Sedge and he had a fourth minute shot well saved.

Joe Hewitt was alert at the other end as he hacked an Adam Lee effort off the goalline before Liversedge broke and Alex Hallam, who scored twice on his debut at Nostell, cut in from the wing but fired wide.

Liversedge’s best move of the first half saw Carl Horsman link well with Hallam and the latter in turn played the ball to Bordman but he shot at the goalkeeper as it remained goalless at the break.

Armthorpe broke the deadlock just three minutes into the second half when Henry Sibenge turned a defender in the area and produced a neat finish.

New Sedge goalkeeper James Waggett tipped a Darren Manasrden shot over the crossbar before Liversedge created two chances to draw level.

Gaz Saville was introduced from the bench and he linked well with Hewitt and crossed for Damien Hopkins but his overhead kick was saved.

Seven minutes from full-time, Liversedge created their best chance to equalise when Brook Newton made a good run and crossed into the area.

Saville and Hallam raced in to try and connect but an Armthorpe defender managed to bundle the ball over the crossbar as Welfare hung on for victory.

Liversedge: Waggett, Hewitt, Horsman, Larkin, White, Hurtley (Saville 74), D Bordman, Hopkins, Cartman, Hallam, Newton. Subs (not used): Shuttleworth, Cooper, Knight (gk).

Liversedge 0

Staveley 1

A LAST gasp, 92nd minute winner, by the visitors sealed Liversedge’s fate in the Northern Counties East League Cup at Clayborn on Tuesday night.

In a match peppered with missed chances for both sides it was not surprising that it was decided so late in the day.

From the 88th minute onwards each side had a goal disallowed.

Carl Horsman set Nathan Cartman away and he put it into the bottom corner of the net but was ruled offside. A minute later Staveley also saw the flag go up as they beat Knight for the first time. As Liversedge tried to get the ball upfield from the free-kick the move broke down and Staveley seized on the possession and Ayman Taher’s shot beat Knight. Shortly after the whistle went for full-time it was harsh on Liversedge who had more than played their part in an entertaining cup tie.

In a goalless first half new signing Cartman making his debut had a chance well saved after 35 minutes.

Chris Hanney who had a solid match throughout in midfield rounded the goalkeeper on the half hour before driving his shot into the side netting,

It was one of those nights though and just before half-time Staveley, who were promoted last season, saw Ryan Damms test goalkeeper Danny Knight.

On the hour James Hurtley saw his effort sail over the crossbar.

Liversedge: Knight, Saville, Horsman, White, Larkin, Hanney, Cartman, Hurtley, D Bordman, Hopkins, Hallam. Sub: Cooper. Not used: Waggett, Hewitt, Leach.


Liversedge Under-19s had a friendly match against Pontefract last night, Thursday.

Next Wednesday, August 24, the Under-19s entertain Farsley Reserves at Clayborn, 7.30pm.

All spectators are welcome.