Late goal denies Leeds United in seven-goal thriller

Leeds United players look dejected after Wolves' Dave Edwards scores the winning goal. Picture:Simon HulmeLeeds United players look dejected after Wolves' Dave Edwards scores the winning goal. Picture:Simon Hulme
Leeds United players look dejected after Wolves' Dave Edwards scores the winning goal. Picture:Simon Hulme
Despite being gifted two goals Leeds United suffered their second Easter defeat when they went down 4-3 in a remarkable game against Wolves at Molineux.

Neil Redfearn’s men led early on and somehow despite being largely outplayed hit back from 3-1 down to be level only to concede a late goal.

Briefly it looked like a shock could be on the cards as promotion chasing Wolves found themselves behind after just 11 minutes and it was a self inflicted goal as Kevin McDonald’s ball across his own box hit team-mate Richard Stearman and fell nicely for Charlie Taylor who calmly tucked away his first senior goal for Leeds.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It was just the start United wanted as they were forced to field a bit of a patched up side with Rudy Austin banned, Lewis Cook and Giuseppe Bellusci injured and Steve morison rested.

In came 19-year-old midfielder Kalvin Phillips for his debut, along with captain Liam Cooper and Mirco Antenucci, who played in a lone frontman role.

Wolves responded well to their early setback and after Marco Silvestri saved from Bakary Sako they equalised as Nouha Dicko latched onto Benik Afobe’s low cross-shot to score from an acute angle.

Leeds struggled to get out of their own half with Antenucci totally ineffective up front, but dug in at the back with only a James Henry shot tipped over by Silvestri causing them any real danger.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

However, as the first half went into added time Dicko got free on the edge of the box and beat Silvestri at his near post with a powerfully struck low shot that went in off the post.

Wolves stretched their lead within three minutes of the restart when the ball pinballed about in the box and fell kindly for Afobe to score from close range.

It looked all over for Leeds and would have been had Afobe then not missed a sitter when unmarked in the box.

Wolves then seemed to take their foot off the gas and paid the price on 66 minutes when Mowatt’s overhit cross was turned past his own keeper by Danny Batth.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The hosts then gave possession away on the edge of their box five minutes later and Mowatt cut in well from the right to send an unstoppable 20-yard shot past keeper Carl Ikeme to make it 3-3.

Mowatt had another chance, but could not repeat his success from the edge of the box and it was Wolves who clinched victory three minutes from time.

McDonald’s cross was met by substitute Dave Edwards and his header flew into the net for a vital winner in their bid to reach at least the play-offs.

Match facts

Wolverhampton Wanderers 4

(Dicko 19, 45+1, Afobe 48, Edwards 88)

(Taylor 11, Batth og 66, Mowatt 71)

Monday, April 6, 2015

Sky Bet Championship

Attendance: 25,169

Wolves: Ikeme, Iorfa, Batth, Stearman, Golbourne, Henry (Van La Parra 78), McDonald, Price, Sako, Afobe, Dicko (Edwards 70).

Leeds: Silvestri, Wootton, Bamba, Cooper, Berardi, Murphy, Phillips, Mowatt, C Taylor, Byram, Antenucci (Sharp 82).

Referee: D Coote