Heaton set to meet Farnley in HW final

Hanging Heaton will meet New Farnley in an all Bradford League Solly Sports Heavy Woollen Cup final at Bennett Lane on Sunday August 4.

By Andrew Hunt
Friday, 12th July 2013, 8:00 am
Hanging Heaton v Townville Heavy Woollen Cup semi final
Jamie Baulk of Hanging Heaton
Hanging Heaton v Townville Heavy Woollen Cup semi final Jamie Baulk of Hanging Heaton

Heaton overcame Central Yorkshire League Premier Division leaders Townville by seven wickets in front of a large crowd last Sunday.

New Farnley reached their first Heavy Woollen final after defeating Wakefield Thornes by 86 runs in the other semi.

Dan Busfield, who joined his home club from New Farnley in the winter, gave Heaton the best possible start when he dismissed Townville danger man Tim Walton from the first ball of the match.

Sign up to our daily Dewsbury Reporter Today newsletter

Walton attempted to smash a long hop but James Stansfield claimed a reflex catch from in front of his face at point and it set the tone for the game.

Fellow opener Jonny Booth was caught in the slips by Mark Lawson later in the first over and Busfield also claimed the wicket of a third key batsman Kylinn Vardham, caught behind by another ex-Farnley man Joe Suggitt.

When David Stiff claimed the wicket of Kristian Ward, last season’s beaten finalists had slipped to 27-4 before Jack Hughes (31), Connor Harvey (22) and Ritchie Bresnan (26) led a Townville fightback.

Busfield finished with 3-29, while Lawson, Stiff and young spinner Jamie Baulk claimed two wickets apiece as Townville were bowled out for 133 in the 33rd over.

Heaton suffered a nervy start to their reply as Ritchie Bresnan bowled a terrific 10 over spell which cost just 19 runs and saw him pick up two wickets.

Ex-Heaton player and current Townville captain Nick Bresnan also picked up the wicket of Stansfield as the home side slipped to 58-3.

Gary Fellows showed his experience to ease his side’s nerves and he was joined in an unbroken 76-run stand by Joe Fraser.

Fellows ended 75 not out and Fraser 41 not out, with the latter finishing off the game with a flurry of boundaries to set up a home cup final against New Farnley.

Nick Walker top scored for Farnley with 54, while former East Bierley captain Lee Goddard (34) and Peter Ross (35) also shone as they reached 220-9, with Scott Wightman (3-22) and Tharindu Parera (3-51) pick of the bowlers.

Thornes were reduced to 16-4 in reply and never really recovered as they were eventually bowled out for 134 in the 40th over with Dave Cummings (3-13,) and Nick Walker (3-23) steering Farnley into the final, which will see brothers Tom Suggitt and Joe Suggitt come up against each other.