Classy Town too strong for Sedge

Liversedge v AFC Halifax Town'Pictured: Halifax's Dale Johnson chases Gabril Bojang
Liversedge v AFC Halifax Town'Pictured: Halifax's Dale Johnson chases Gabril Bojang


FC Halifax Town7

THE gulf in class was all too evident on Tuesday night as FC Halifax Town sent Liversedge crashing out of the West Riding County Cup.

A healthy crowd of around 300 turned up to Clayborn, no doubt boosted after Shaymen boss Neil Aspin promised to field a strong side, and the former Leeds United defender will have gone away pleased with a satisfying evening’s work from his side.

Halifax were simply too quick and skilful for Liversedge’s youngsters, who had performed so well to upset Garforth in the last round.

This proved another step up in class as Liversedge were unable to bridge the three division gap which separates the sides.

Liversedge did have their moments and could easily have grabbed a consolation goal with promising youngster Matthew Bugg and captain Darryl Leach both going close.

Dan Gardner made his first Town appearance since injuring a knee in a pre-season game with Stockport and he showed his class in 35-minute run out.

Gardner made a terrific run down the right and crossed for debutant Alex Johnson but he shot against the crossbar from only eight yards out.

The striker got on the end of the rebound and was judged, somewhat harshly, to have been tripped and Gardner drilled the penalty low to Paul Hargreen’s right.

Liversedge had a bright spell but Luke Richardson tamely shot at Fax goalkeeper Phil Senior before Gibril Bojang latched onto a mis-placed pass and fed Richardson and he sent over a teasing cross but Senior dived bravely to nick the ball off Bugg.

Halifax broke quickly downfield and Gardner unleashed a superb 30-yard shot that gave Hargreen no chance on its way to the bottom left corner.

Gardner was withdrawn from the action but Halifax still had too much class and poured forward late in the first half.

Impressive left back Jason St Juste slipped a lovely ball inside for Simon Hackney to drill home and Gareth Seddon produced a deft chip over Hargreen following a neat pass by Alex Johnson to make it 4-0 at half-time.

There was no let up after the break as Halifax kept possession for long periods and Liversedge were left chasing shadows.

Hargreen made a good save from a shot but the ball looped up and Seddon acrobatically volleyed into the empty net.

Sedge introduced Danny Toronczak, Chris Dennison and Jarod Peltier and had their best spell of the match as Bugg fired wide following a neat passing move.

Richardson then sent over a superb free-kick from the left touchline and Leach rose to powerfully head goalwards but Senior was alert to save well.

Halifax centre back Connor Qualter made no mistake at the other end as he rose at the far post to head home a Jason Jarrett’s corner and make it 6-0 with 20 minutes remaining.

Alex Johnson looked to have got his name on the scoresheet when he bundled the ball over the line but was ruled offside.

Halifax also hit the base of Hargreen’s right post and somehow missed another glorious chance from a yard out before Dale Johnson produced a glancing header from Alex Johnson’s cross to complete the scoring.

Although well beaten, Liversedge were far from disgraced and their young side will benefit from having played against such a quality side.

Liversedge: Hargreen, Hewitt, Rothell, Cooper (Toronczak 55), Leach, Riordan, Williams, Hirst (Peltier 74), Bugg, Richardson, Bojang (Dennison 60). Sub (not used): Thompson.

FC Halifax Town: Senior, Kelly (McManus 23), St Juste, Needham, Qualter, Bolland, Hackney, A Johnson, D Johnson, Gardner (Jarrett 35), Seddon. Subs (not used): Glennon, Gregory.

Referee: Michael Connell.



LIVERSEDGE came from behind to earn a share of the spoils against Parkgate in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division last Saturday.

Sedge conceded the opening goal after just five minutes when a partially cleared corner fell to Matthew Outram, who drilled home from the edge of the penalty area.

Luke Richardson forced Parkgate goalkeeper Jamie Bailey into a good save from a free-kick before Jamie Smith had a goal ruled out for offside for the visitors.

Liversedge were disrupted when Kieran Corley and Darryl Leach both limped off injured but they equalised after 35 minutes when James Rothell ran from halfway and unleashed a superb left foot shot from outside the area which flew in.

Matthew Bugg had the best chance to score a winner after the break but glanced a header wide from Richardson’s cross.

Liversedge: Hargreen, Hewitt, Rothell, Hirst, Leach (Cooper 31), Riordan, Williams (Toronczak 61), Richardson, Bugg, Corley (Peltier 15), Jarrett. Subs (not used): Thompson, Bojang.