Blood, sweat and tears in aid of Ryan

There was blood, sweat and tears as 30 rugby league plays swapped their boots for boxing gloves in aid or injured player Ryan Glynn.

Friday, 21st June 2013, 9:00 am
Picture by Allan McKenzie/AMGP.CO.UK - Batley Frontier Boxing, Batley Frontier Club, Batley, England - 160613 - Chris Mortimor lands a blow to Ian Hiddlestone.

Organisers had put together an ambitious 15-fight card at the Frontier nightclub last Sunday in aid of the Ryan Glynn Fund.

Shaw Cross Sharks, Dewsbury Moor, Batley Boys, Birstall Victoria, Thornhill Trojans, Dewsbury Celtic, Hanging Heaton, Ossett Trinity, Eastmoor and Milford were the clubs represented at the Battle in Batley, while the packed crowd were given an additional treat when Jamaine Akaidere of Dewsbury Rams took on Batley Bulldogs star Danny Maun in the final bout.

The show was given a rip roaring start as Shaw Cross Shark Steve Shaw took on Celtic’s Pat Foulstone in a cracking bout.

Sign up to our daily Dewsbury Reporter Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Pocket rocket Shaw was giving away height and reach advantage but produced the better work to register a points win.

Damien Platt (Ossett Trinity) and Adam Hoyle (Thornhill) traded some vicious blows in another explosive contest, edged by Platt, while Chris Mortimer (Dewsbury Moor) overcame Eastmoor’s Ian Hiddleston to the delight of a vociferous crowd.

Danny Thomas (Celtic) outpointed Ossett’s Jordan Clayton, while Andy Burland threw some huge bombs in his impressive victory over Danny Hudson (Shaw Cross).

Jamie Aitcheson, representing Dewsbury Celtic, requested his bout be brought forward after his partner went into labour and he was in no mood to mess around, forcing an early stoppage win against Eastmoor’s Michael Jenyak.

The pick of the 15 fights was the seventh, which saw Nathan Hadfield (Shaw Cross) meet Hanging Heaton’s Jonny France.

Hadfield was knocked down early on but star referee Mickey Vann threatened to disqualify France for an illegal blow.

Hadfield got to his feet and pleaded to continue and, roared on by the crowd, the Shaw Cross man went on to secure victory, sparking a rendition of the Sharks after-match victory chant from his supporters.

The serious side of boxing came to light in the eighth bout when Hanging Heaton’s Anthony Fallas landed a blow which knocked Batley Boys’ Tom Dransfield out.

The ringside doctor rushed to Dransfield’s aid and thankfully the Batley Boys man was able to walk, slightly gingerly, from the ring.

It was announced that Fallas’s win had come just nine seconds into the first round — proof indeed that everyone who took part had deserved the upmost respect from everyone at ringside.

Danny Annakin(Shaw Cross) scored a second round ko win over Danny Lee (Celtic), while James Gettins (Birstall Vic) was edged out by Elliot Smith (Celtic). Reece Parker (Shaw Cross) secured a points win over Dale Brook (Thornhill) in the 11th bout.

Gavis Davis (Batley Boys) was forced to retire at the end of the second round of his clash with Shane Tasker-Howard (Milford Marlins).

Andy Shires (Shaw Cross) boxed well and a flurry of body shots 57 seconds into the second round forced Aiden Anderson (Dewsbury Celtic) to retire.

The penultimate bout saw two Shaw Cross lads go head to head with Jermaine Davies edging out Jack Bell and, like with most of the fights, there were hugs and a huge amount of respect at the final bell.

The last fight of the afternoon paired Akaidere of the Rams against Bulldogs star Maun.

Akaidere landed a fierce shot one minute 23 seconds into the second round which saw Maun stopped.