Batley Bulldogs 24 Halifax 16: Halifax hit first bump in the road under new boss Grix

Batley's Louis Jouffret. PIC: Paul Butterfield
Batley's Louis Jouffret. PIC: Paul Butterfield

Halifax hit their first bump in the road under new coach Simon Grix as they went down to a 24-16 Championship defeat at Batley.

Fax had won four straight since Grix, who had been confirmed as full-time coach earlier in the week, replaced Richard Marshall, but they were second best at Mount Pleasant. The visitors, who play Bradford in a Challenge Cup quarter-final next Sunday, looked in trouble when the scores were tied 6-6 at the break, with Fax having enjoyed the advantage of both the slope and a howling wind.

Dewsbury's Michael Knowles. PIC: Paul Butterfield

Dewsbury's Michael Knowles. PIC: Paul Butterfield

Fax had the better of the first 10 minutes, with some towering kicks from captain Scott Murrell causing problems in the wind for the Bulldogs’ wingers. But when Batley did get some possession at the other end of the field, they made it count.

Stand-off Louis Jouffrey hoisted the ball towards the corner flag and Keenen Tomlinson made the catch and grounded the ball to score.

Jouffrey converted for a 6-0 lead. But a raking 40-20 kick from Murrell put the visitors back on the front foot and they finally struck a telling blow when full back Scott Grix lofted a pass out to Will Sharp, with the winger crossing unopposed by the flag.

Centre Steve Tyrer kicked a fine conversion off the sideline to tie the scores at 6-6, although Batley should have edged ahead when they were awarded a penalty, only for Jouffret to miss from in front of the posts.

Hunslet's James Saltonstall. PIC: Paul Butterfield

Hunslet's James Saltonstall. PIC: Paul Butterfield

With the elements and gravity in their favour though, the Bulldogs took control of proceedings in the early minutes of the second half.

First, Lewis Galbraith touched down from Dominic Brambani’s slick pass and then a crazy pass from Grix gifted Tomlinson a second score for Batley, Jouffrey converting one for a 16-6 lead.

Grix made some amends with a well taken score that allowed Tyrer to cut the deficit to 16-12, but an Adam Gledhill try from close range, converted by Jouffret, saw Batley stretch their lead out to 22-12.

Jouffret added a penalty inside the final 10 minutes, with Sharp’s late, unconverted, try for Fax purely academic.

Batley: Scott; Tomlinson, Galbraith, Wood, Campbell; Jouffret, Brambani; Gledhill, Leak, Everett, Manning, Bretherton, Brown. Subs: Ward, Taira, Butterworth, Bienek.

Halifax: Grix; Sharp, Tyrer, Butler, Robinson; Murrell, White; Fleming, Moore, Tangata, Larroyer, Cooper, Connor Davies. Subs: Curtis Davies, Fairbank, Kirby, Morris

Referee: N. Bennett.

n Michael Knowles, playing at half-back, must have thought his drop goal was enough to have given Dewsbury Rams victory at Swinton, but the Lions roared back to steal the victory, 22-17. Rams led 10-4 at half-time, scoring tries through winger Andy Gabriel and full-back Dale Morton, with forward Rob Worrincy adding to the try tally. Liam Finn landed two conversions.

n In League One, Hunslet overcame hosts Newcastle Thunder 32-18 after leading 16-0 at half-time with tries coming from full-back James Saltonstall (2), Nathan Chappell (2) and Gareth Potts. Reece Dean landed the two-pointers.

Hunslet are fourth in the table, level on 12 points with Oldham.