Liam Morley scores for Thornhill.
Liam Morley scores for Thornhill.

Thornhill Trojans produced a superb display to send BARLA Yorkshire Cup holders Sharlston crashing out as they booked a semi-final place.

The sides were locked 18-18 after 80 minutes so the pulsating tie went to extra time, when Thornhill showed their superior fitness to seal a 31-18 win.

Over the 100 minutes, Thornhill produced their most mature performance in a long time and showed improved discipline.

Man of the match Danny Ratcliffe, pictured above, produced an excellent display but several Trojans players deserve praise.

Liam Morley wound back the clock with some fine attacking rugby to collect a brace of tries. There was also a majestic showing from young hooker Jordan Lowther.

Lowther’s well weighted kick set up the first try as Morley touched down.

Sharlston tried to battle back but the ball was lost and James Craven sped away down the wing before sending an inside pass to Danny Ratcliffe away only to be called back for a forward pass.

Thornhill soon put their disappointment behind them and good handling ended with Morley sending out a wonderful pass for Adam Bird to power over in the corner.

Adam Gaynor darted over for an early second half try following a penalty and Scott Glassell converted to put Rovers back in the game.

The Trojans then began to pull clear as a crossfield kick from Lowther picked out Morley to storm over for an unconverted try.

A powerful two-man tackle forced Sharlston to lose possession. Danny Ratcliffe picked up the loose ball and itl was worked out for winger Adam Bird to race over for his second try of the game. Scott Lee converted.

With Sharlston’s grip on the cup slipping, they produced a great fightback as Glassell nipped over for a converted try.

Morley appeared to have put Bird over but the ball came loose and the winger was sin-binned for showing dissent after claiming it had been ripped out.

Danny Ratcliffe had an unsuccessful drop goal attempt before Rovers levelled three minutes from time with a Tom Wandless try converted by Glassell .

Sharlston had Jamie Milburn sent off for tripping in the final minute of normal time and Thornhill took full advantage.

Joel Gibson broke and sent Danny Ratcliffe over with Scott Lee converting before Gibson landed a drop goal.

As full-time approached, Ben Kendall produced a rampaging run and raced over for a try to spark celebrations. Gibson converted as Thornhill booked a semi-final spot.