Terminally ill woman beaten in her home just days after she was robbed of funeral cash

Latest news...
Latest news...

Teenage thugs attacked a terminally ill woman in her own home – just days after she was robbed of cash kept to pay for her funeral.

Mum Michelle Goodhall, 35, was left terrified after someone walked into her home in Moorside Avenue, Dewsbury Moor, taking £7,000 cash.

Less than 48 hours later Mrs Goodhall, who has 12 months left to live, was pushed by her head against a wall as two teenagers barged into her home.

Mrs Goodhall, who uses a wheelchair, shouted for daughter Laura, 14, who was upstairs, forcing the yobs to flee.

Police believe both incidents are linked and that the woman was deliberately targeted.

The first incident happened last Thursday, between 5.30pm and 5.45pm.

Mrs Goodhall said: “I was in the downstairs toilet and I heard someone come in through the door and go straight upstairs.

“My husband John had just popped out to pick up a takeaway and I thought it was my daughter and a friend. Suddenly I heard this tremendous crashing and banging.

“I was scared it was a burglar and I heard them come back down and head to the kitchen, then I heard plates being smashed on the floor.

“I was terrified as I was home alone.

“Later we found out that £7,000 we’ve saved for my funeral was taken – I haven’t got longer than 12 months.”

Michelle’s prognosis was given six months ago when doctors performed a double lung transplant.

Husband John said the operation went wrong and now his wife’s airways are slowly shutting down, leaving her almost entirely wheelchair-bound and on oxygen.

A camcorder was also taken in the raid.

Thinking their ordeal was over, the family were targeted again when two thugs entered the house on Saturday at around 10.15am.

They grabbed Michelle’s head and slammed her against the wall before leaving empty handed.

Mr Goodhall, 61, a full-time carer, added: “We couldn’t say if it was the same people, but if it was I presume they were returning to take more of our possessions.

“It all happened so quickly but she was left shocked and terrified.”

The youths involved in the latest incident are described as wearing balaclavas.

The first is described as 16-17-years-old, and of “chubby” build.

He was wearing a black hooded top, black tracksuit bottoms and white trainers.

The other is described as around 14-years-old, of slim build.

He was wearing a black hooded top, grey tracksuit bottoms and white trainers.

Det Sgt Paul Keitch, of Kirklees CID, said: “It is clearly concerning that this vulnerable woman’s home has been targeted twice in a short period of time, with the intruders in this latest incident also using violence against her. Thankfully she was not seriously hurt but nonetheless this was a frightening experience for her and it is vitally important that we identify those involved.

“We are supporting the victim and her family, which includes advising on how the property can be made more secure. Additional patrols are also being put in place to provide reassurance and deter any further offending.

“As part of our ongoing enquiries we have been speaking to those living in the area but I would urge anyone with information about either of these incidents or the people involved to call Kirklees CID on 101.”