Takeaway ‘put lives in danger’

A TAKEAWAY owner put the lives of eight people at risk, a court heard.

Mohammed Zafran Rashid failed to follow fire safety rules, putting the lives of people living above the shop at risk. He was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay £2,570.75 costs and a £15 victim surcharge for breaching fire safety regulations.

Prosecuting on behalf of the West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Authority, Sarah Dimmock told Kirklees magistrates on Tuesday that the failings only came to light when fire fighters visited Sunrise Lodge, Bradford Road, after a small fire in the basement in 2010.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The court, in Huddersfield, heard that at the time, Mr Rashid, of Caledonian Road, Dewsbury, was running the takeaway and was responsible for the 12 flats above – all owned by his father, Mohammed Rashid.

Mrs Dimmock said a fire exit was blocked by two divans and three mattresses and fire safety equipment was faulty. She said the fire alarm had no power running to it and the alarm panel was covered in cobwebs.

She added there would have been a ‘very dangerous situation’ if another fire had started, endangering the lives of tenants above the takeaway, one of whom was disabled.

Representing himself, Rashid, 28, pleaded guilty to both charges.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Mitigating, he said he could be partially blamed but added that a dispute with his electricity provider at the time resulted in the power being cut off, disabling the fire alarm.

Charges against Mr Rashid senior for other fire safety breaches at the takeaway were withdrawn.

Rashid is no longer involved with the takeaway.