Son took overdose after parents' death

A RAVENSTHORPE man who was devastated by the loss of his parents died from a massive overdose of more than 120 prescribed tablets, an inquest heard.

Dennis John Laycock, 53, of Duke Street, was found by a friend lying dead in his second floor flat on January 6, with white tablet residue on his fingers and empty pill bottles lying nearby.

The friend had become worried when he hadn’t heard from his usually sociable friend for a week.

And when there was no answer at his flat he gained access using a ladder to reach an unsecure second floor window.

Mr Laycock’s mother and father both died last year within 10 months of each other.

He had a history of depression and lived alone but had a number of good friends and liked to go out.

A postmortem revealed he had taken a concoction of drugs including paracetamol and codeine and a small amount of alcohol.

Deputy coroner, Mark Hinchliffe, said Mr Laycock died of poisoning after saving up his tablets and taking them all at once.

Recording a verdict that Mr Laycock had killed himself, Mr Hinchliffe said the number of tablets taken meant death was absolutely inevitable.