Pensioner escapes chip pan fire

Latest news...
Latest news...

A pensioner had a lucky escape after throwing water onto a chip pan fire.

The man had been making some chips at a house in Thornhill but forgot about the pan.

But the oil in the pan exploded after he tried to put the fire out with water.

Fire crews from Dewsbury were called to the incident on Partridge Crescent at about 11pm yesterday. The fire was out by the time they reached the house.

Crew Commander Rob Butters said: “The man was around 80 years old. He threw water into the chip pan, which set the whole kitchen on fire.

“He was very fortunate to escape with few injuries. We couldn’t believe it.

“We want to make it clear that you should never throw water onto a chip pan fire.”

The man was taken to hospital with minor burns.