Jack Carter’s family abandons appeal against his killer’s sentence

tragic: Jack Carter was killed by a single punch.
tragic: Jack Carter was killed by a single punch.

A GRIEVING family is abandoning attempts to challenge a killer’s prison sentence.

Relatives of Jack Carter, who died from a single punch in Dewsbury last year, think his killer’s jail term is too lenient.

They wanted the Court of Appeal to look at the 21-month sentence handed down to Mohammed Nazakat Alam when he was convicted of manslaughter in January.

But the Attorney General has ruled the sentence should stand – meaning Alam could be freed on parole within months.

“He could be out before the first anniversary of Jack’s death,” said Mr Carter’s angry sister, Amanda Athey. “But that’s it now. There won’t be any more attempts.”

She said lodging the appeal had taken its toll on her parents, Jackie and Billy Carter, of Batley. “It was tough on them, They found it all very stressful,” said Mrs Athey. “We just have to live with it and get on with our lives.”

Mr Carter, 39, died after an incident in Thornhill Lees last August. Alam’s sentence was reduced by four months to take account of time served on remand and he could be paroled for good behaviour.

“He could be out in May or June after serving 11 months,” said Mrs Athey, also from Batley. “He will be walking the streets. We are shocked.”

The appeal was instigated by a member of Jack Carter’s extended family. But a review found no grounds for the appeal.

The Attorney General’s office said the case failed the test for ‘undue lenience’ and ruled that the sentence was within guidelines for a ‘one punch’ manslaughter.

A spokesman said: “Alam threw a single punch which led to tragic consequences. The sentence reflected the role played by Alam.

“The judge approached the sentencing with care. Decisions are only taken after careful consideration of the facts and relevant law and guidelines.”

Mrs Athey said: “It is appalling. Because of this one-punch law. You don’t go around punching people. You don’t do it.”

Co-accused with Alam, 25, of Beckett Lane, Dewsbury Moor was Nisar Shah, 40, formerly of Victoria Road, Thornhill Lees.

He got a six-month sentence, suspended for two years and 120 hours unpaid work for assault causing actual bodily harm.

Mrs Athey paid tribute to police who helped them through the aftermath of the crime.

“I thank Hayley Pedley, our family liaison officer,” she said. “She was outstanding in the way she looked after us. I never got to thank her properly so I do that now.

“The care we received from all the officers involved was first class.”