Firefighters have warned chip enthusiasts to stay safe next week while celebrating their favourite potato-based side dish.
National Chip Week will begin on February 16 and West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service has reminded households that it has dealt with 57 chip pan fires in Kirklees over the last three years, 14 of which resulted in people being hospitalised and 15 more in which people were injured.
Kirklees district prevention manager Mo Ali said: “Over half of all accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen. The smallest distraction when using a chip pan could lead to a fire in a matter of moments.
“Oven chips are a safer and healthier way to enjoy your favourite meal, but if you do choose to deep fat fry please don’t leave the pan unattended. If your pan does catch light, don’t throw water over it – get out, stay out and call 999.”
The service recommended people do away with chip pans altogether, but advised that the oil has overheated if the pan begins to smoke and that thomostat-controlled fyrer would prevent overheating.
Drying food before it is placed in hot oil reduces the chance of splashing, the oil should not be overfilled and children should not be left alone with chip pans.
If a fire does start then the heat should be turned off if it is safe to do so, water should not be thrown on a fat fire and people should not attempt to tackle the fire themselves.