With the winter closing in, and households becoming increasingly reliant on the use of electrical appliances such as fan heaters, the Fire Service is anticipating an increase in the number of call-outs they have to attend to.
Electrics have been the cause of more than 350 fires attended by WYFRS from the start of the year up to the end of September, of which 51 occurred within the Kirklees district.
Electrical Fire Safety Week, which takes place from November to November 16, is led by the Government organisation Fire Kills in partnership with Electrical Safety First, an independent charity committed to reducing deaths and injuries caused by electricity in the home.
District Prevention manager for Kirklees, Mohammad Ali, said: “With winter approaching and the current economic climate people will be considering the costs of heating their homes and many will be seeking cheaper alternatives.
“Using faulty or defective portable heaters or incorrectly using them could lead to potentially having a house fire resulting in injury and even death.
“Overloading sockets or poor electrics within properties can pose significant fire risks. We recommend that you follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for an appliance. Always use an approved electrician to carry out any electrical work in your home. It is vital that people take our messages on board and follow the advice provided.”
A spokeswoman for Electrical Safety First said: “It is vital the dangers associated with electrical items are understood. By following our guidance people can stay safe and stay warm this winter.”
This week marks national Electrical Fire Safety Week, which is being supported by the West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS).