Firefighters were called to a textiles mill in Scout Hill today (Wednesday) after a piece of machinery caught fire.
Two crews from Dewsbury Fire Station went to G Wilson Fibres Limited in Scout Hill Road at 6.40am.
Watch commander Tim Pallister said: “The smoke level was almost down to the ground so visibility was really hard.
“The team went in wearing breathing apparatus and discovered it was more smoke than fire. It was still quite a bad fire though.
“They cleared the smoke when dealt with the fire.”
Only the machinery, a small amount of stock and a small section of the roof was damaged thanks to a sprinkler system fitted by the company.
Manager Richard Wilson said: “We’re not sure how the fire started at the moment, possibly an electrical fault.
“It’s going to have minimal impact. It’s one machine and a little bit of remedial work will be carried out.
“We’re thankful for the sprinkler system and the fire station. I know they’re talking about shutting it, but we’re grateful it’s exists and they were there to help us. They were here in about a minute!”
The station in Huddersfield Road is due to be merged with Batley Fire Station as part of cost-cutting plans.
West Yorkshire Fire Service has planning permission for a new joint station in Bradford Road, Dewsbury, although construction work is yet to begin.