A family of three have had a lucky escape after an electric heater caused a fire at their home in Liversedge last night.
Fire crews from Batley and Cleckheaton were called to the house, on Leeds Road, at around 9.30pm and extinguished the flames, which had been contained to one of the upstairs bedrooms.
It is believed the fire was caused by the heater being placed too close to the bed, and the mattress caught fire.
The family, which included a six year-old boy, were alerted by their smoke alarm and managed to shut the bedroom door to the fire before leaving the house unharmed and calling 999.
Watch Commander Jonathan Brants said: “We’d advise people not to put electric heaters too close to any furniture at all.
“In this case the smoke alarm alerted the family so they could get out of the house, which shows vital a working smoke alarm is.
“No permanent damage is believed to have been caused to the home, but this might not have been the case if the fire had spread.”