‘Damage must stop - this road is dangerous’

People living near to one of the busiest roads in North Kirklees are sick of their parked cars being damaged by passing drivers.

Friday, 14th August 2015, 3:00 pm
Calder Road in Ravensthorpe.

Owners of cars parked on Calder Road, just off Huddersfield Road, Ravensthorpe, said their paintwork has been repeatedly scratched, wing mirrors knocked off and are worried that someone could be seriously hurt.

Khalid Perwaiz, whose car was written off when it was clipped by a lorry and dragged into the street, said: “I think there is a high chance that a kid could get hurt. Cars go so fast it’s unbelievable.

“The problem with cars getting hit has gone on for about 10 years – there’s no point buying a decent one and we’re really fed up. It’s awful waking up in the morning and finding scratches. Even a wing mirror costs £100 these days.”

Heavy traffic, mainly lorries and trucks on Calder Roa in Ravensthorpe are constantly damaging parked cars. Residents are angry that nothing appears to be done about it and they are concerned that it's just a matter of time before someone gets killed. (AB173a0815)

“Calder Road is absolutely congested and we have to park our cars on the footpath, even though we’re not supposed to.”

The impression on the street is that kind of damage happens too often and Mr Perwaiz is just one of a number of people who have banded together to ask for steps to be taken to keep their cars safe.

Saima Khan, Farzana Khan and Sika Khan’s parked cars have all been damaged recently and the group has suggested CCTV, improvements to the road or turning the street into a one system could ease the problem.

Coun Karen Rowling (Lab, Dewsbury West) said: “I am aware we have an issue with traffic and that’s why we want a relief road but it’s not looking like something that will happen too quickly because of the funding situation Kirklees Council has to deal with.

“I would urge people to get in touch with me and we should be able to find at least a short-term solution.”

Visit www.kirklees.gov.uk for contact details.