Man in court and six others arrested after Huddersfield Road stabbing

CRIME SCENE: The junction of Huddersfield Road and Doctor Lane, near where Simon Mitchell was allegedly stabbed.
CRIME SCENE: The junction of Huddersfield Road and Doctor Lane, near where Simon Mitchell was allegedly stabbed.

A MAN has appeared in court accused of a stabbing in Mirfield town centre.

Simon Mitchell, 39, was taken to Bradford Royal Infirmary after his face was slashed with a knife in Huddersfield Road last Wednesday evening.

Six men were arrested in connection with the incident, which also left a 26-year-old man with a chest injury.

On Monday a seventh man, 23-year-old Blake Johnson, appeared at Kirklees Magistrates Court charged with violent disorder and wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Mr Mitchell, who lives locally, returned home on Sunday after an operation where he was given around 80 stitches.

His uncle, Gerard Hollingworth, said Mr Mitchell was left with one gash from his eyebrow to his cheek, one running from his ear to his mouth and a nine inch wound running from his hairline to his jawline.

“He is very worried,” Mr Holllingworth said.

“He does not know what has happened or why it has happened. He is trying to come to terms with it.”

Mr Mitchell’s family did not hear about what had happened to him until Thursday evening, when the incident was reported in the local media.

Mr Hollingworth said: “Simon’s mum is livid about it happening in the first place.

“She is devastated that something like that could happen to her son and she can’t understand why she wasn’t told.”

Mr Mitchell was originally taken to Dewsbury and District Hospital for treatment before he was transferred to Bradford.

“He was probably quite badly injured, but at the time his body was shutting down,” Mr Hollingworth said.

“You would think that they would cotnact the family straightaway.”

The alleged attack on Mr Mitchell happened near the Railway pub in Huddersfield Road, at around 8pm.

Staff from the nearby Royd Court sheltered housing complex went out to help Mr Mitchell as he waited for an ambulance, as did nurse Sue Ibberson and her husband Martin, who were passing.

“Without them, I don’t know whether it wouldn’t have been worse,” Mr Hollingworth said.

“It’s nice that people got involved to try and help. I just hope they can help the police in their investigation.”

The day after the attack, a police spokesman said four men aged 20, 29, 32 and 43 had been arrested on suspicion of violent disorder.

By Friday morning, two others aged 26 and 39 had been arrested in connection with the incident.

All six have been released on bail while police continue their investigation.

Meanwhile Johnson, of Moorside Road, Dewsbury Moor, was remanded in custody when he appeared before magistrates in Huddersfield on Monday.

His case was sent to Leeds Crown Court where he is due to appear via video link this Monday.