Dewsbury man slashed his neighbour's face during dispute over parking while he was 'agitated' after smoking skunk cannabis

A man slashed his neighbour's face with a knife after he became 'agitated' over someone parking a car outside his flat.

By Tony Gardner
Tuesday, 12th January 2021, 11:42 am
Updated Tuesday, 12th January 2021, 11:48 am

Jahrel Miller jumped from the window of his property in Dewsbury and carried out the attack as the victim tried to calm him down.

Miller was under the influence of skunk cannabis and appeared agitated at the time of the incident in the early hours of August 2 last year.

Leeds Crown Court heard Miller shouted threats to a man who parked his car near to his home.

Sign up to our daily Dewsbury Reporter Today newsletter

Jahrel Miller was jailed for 20 months for slashing his neighbour's face

The 26-year-old shouted from the window of his flat on Devon Walk: "Why don't you come to my door?

"I'm a one man army. If I wanted I could wipe you all out."

Miller's neighbour heard the disturbance and tried to calm the defendant down.

Miller then jumped from the window and slashed his neighbour's face.

The victim was not seriously injured and went back into his property.

Miller then confronted the victim the next day and accused him of being the aggressor.

The defendant then threatened to shoot his neighbour and used a knife to damage a car tyre.

Police were called and Miller was arrested but refused to comment when interviewed about the offending.

He pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding, criminal damage and possession of a bladed article.

The victim provided a statement to the court describing how he no longer feels safe living at his flat.

Anastasis Tasou, mitigating, said Miller suffered from mental health problems which were made worse by his use of cannabis.

He said: "Cannabis is regarded as relatively benign but it can have dramatic consequence, as it did with Mr Miller.

"He genuinely thought he was going to be attacked. But that doesn't provide him with a defence."

Mr Tasou said Miller was sorry for what he had done, felt "disgusted" by his behaviour and had written a letter of apology.

Judge Robin Mairs jailed Miller for 20 months.

The judge warned Miller that if he did not address his drug use the likelihood of him him carrying out "catastrophic" offences would remain high.