A community has spoken of its shock after a 49-year-old woman died following a flat fire.
Firefighters from Hunslet and Morley were called to the property on Greenwood Road, Tingley, at 9.25pm on Sunday.
They found the first floor of the flat was on fire and smashed three windows to release some of the smoke.
The fire crews then entered the building where they found a woman inside and rescued her.
She was unconscious and they performed CPR at the scene.
Ambulance crews arrived soon after and the woman was taken to Pinderfields Hospital, where she later died.
West Yorkshire Police have not yet named the woman.
A neighbour, Anne Proctor, saw the firefighters outside her home when she returned from work at 10.30pm.
She said: “It was all a bit of a shock coming home and seeing all the flashing lights.
“People were on the street and I was told they tried to get in and help her before the firefighters came.”
“She kept herself to herself and seemed like a nice lady. She always said hello in the mornings when I saw her.”
Another neighbour, who did not want to be named, said her “heart sank” when she saw the emergency services.
She said: “Two young boys died in a house fire just a few houses from where the fire was around 10 years ago.
“I was just praying it wasn’t something similar. It is so sad what’s happened.”
Enquiries into the cause of the fire are ongoing and a fire investigation officer visited the scene today.