Chickens killed and saved after shed fire in Hightown

A shed fire in Hightown killed at least ten chickens but a dozen more were saved by rescuers.

By Charlie Bullough
Saturday, 4th May 2013, 6:41 pm
Fire engine
Fire engine

Firefighters were called to a blazing shed at the back of Hightown Liberal Club on Halifax Road, Liversedge at 2.57pm today (Saturday).

Sign up to our daily Dewsbury Reporter Today newsletter

The crew from Cleckheaton found the shed destroyed and ten birds dead.

But a fire service spokesman told how people from the bowling club had braved the heat and dragged over a dozen chickens from the flames and saved them from a “horrible death”.

The cause of the fire is thought to be accidental, possibly a cigarette.