BMW driver to be jailed after admitting charges over death of woman in town centre - Leeds Crown Court


An unlicensed BMW driver has been told he will be jailed after admitting causing the death of a woman.

Faizal Kadia and two others made their first appearance in Leeds Crown Court in connection with a crash that killed 55-year-old Hamida Sidat in Dewsbury.

Mrs Sidat died from fatal injuries after being struck by the rental car near to a supermarket in the town on February 4 last year.

{{|IN THE COURTS: Bogus police officer burgled homes of elderly victims in Leeds|Click here for more}

She was hit by a white BMW 420 Coupé under a railway bridge at the junction with Bradford Road and Dewsbury Ring Road at about 10.10am.

Kadia pleaded not guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, but pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving.

The 21-year-old, of Benny Parr Close in Soothill, Batley, also pleaded guilty to causing death by driving while unlicensed and causing death by driving while uninsured.

Kadia also pleaded guilty to conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

IN THE COURTS: Yorkshire father and son fraudsters blew £7 million on yacht, luxury cars and Star Wars figures

Another man, Ammaar Gora, 22, of Howard Street, Batley, pleaded guilty to the same charge.

The charge relates to providing false information as to the true identity of the driver of the BMW involved in the collision between the day before the crash and June 20.

Hamza Fulat, 22, of Town Street, Batley, pleaded guilty to fraud by false representation by stating the day before the crash that he was the only person using the rental car during its lease.

Richard Walters, prosecuting, said the pleas were acceptable to the Crown after extensive consultation between the police, the Crown Prosecution Service and discussions with Mrs Sidat’s family.

Judge Geoffrey Marson QC told Faizal that a custodial sentence was “inevitable”.

The case was adjourned for the probation service to prepare pre-sentence reports.

Sentencing will take place on May 1 and all three defendants were granted bail until then.