Bronze medal for Matthew Johnson at National Swimming Championships
THORNHILL swimmer Matthew Johnson produced a superb effort to register a personal best and win a bronze medal in the 400 metres Individual Medley at the National Swimming Championships.
Matthew just missed out on qualifying for this summer’s Olympic Games in London as Loughborough’s Roberto Pavoni won the final in four minutes 12.43 seconds with team-mate Joe Roebuck taking the other Olympic place, finishing second in 4.14.48.
Matthew clocked a personal best of 4.16.53 to finish third, just eight one hundredths of a second outside the Olympic qualifying time.
The former Spen Valley Sports College student will hope for more success this week in the 200m individual medley and the 1,500m freestyle.
Log on here to follow the progress of Matthew and Thornhill’s Kate Hutchinson, a former Heckmondwike Grammar School student, throughout the week-long championships.
- Man watched porn next to school pupil on train
- BREAKING NEWS Man died from a suspected gunshot wound in Tingley Village Hotel car park
- Mirfield man named in Queen’s Birthday Honour’s list
- Richard Beecham visits Cyprus to see how the country is recovering after its banking crisis, and finds a remarkably proud and friendly people
- Mounted police on real ale trail
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Dewsbury
Tuesday 18 June 2013
Temperature: 12 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: East
Temperature: 12 C to 23 C
Wind Speed: 9 mph
Wind direction: West