Teen drugged in nightclub

Batley’s Mungo nightclub is having its licence reviewed after a teenager was allegedly given a date-rape drug in a drink .

The 17-year-old was taken to Dewsbury and District Hospital after a night out at the Bradford Road bar on January 22, when it is claimed she drank a poisonous substance - possibly GHB.

Based on the Glasgow coma scale, which rates the level of consciousness from three to 15, three indicating a deep coma or death, the girl was at level four.

Her condition later improved and she was released from hospital. She has now made a full recovery.

As a result of their enquiries into the incident, police arrested a 24-year-old man from York, who was a guest DJ that night, on suspicion of administering a noxious substance with intent to commit an indictable offence.

He is currently on bail pending further enquiries.

Jason Hardy, owner of Mungo, said nothing had been reported to the club that night and he knew nothing about it until the following day.

He said: “The person this incident concerns is not a member of staff, but someone we hired for the re-opening party.

“I have put forward from immediate effect certain measures to make sure nothing like this alleged incident can happen again.”

Mr Hardy said razor wire had been put along the back fence to stop underage drinkers getting into the smoking area and would make sure all guests wore luminous bracelets to show their age had been checked on the door.

He said: “I have always worked with the police and licensing and done what they’ve ask of me as quickly as possible. This is my livelihood at the end of the day. It’s my reputation on the line. We have been open for five years and nothing like this has ever happened before.”

West Yorkshire Police has urged people to be extra vigilant while out drinking.

They say the most common drugs used to spike drinks are grammahydroxbutrate (GHB) and Rohypnol (ruffies). Both are high-powered sedatives that can knock people out, make them unable to walk, cause amnesia or put them in a coma. Both can also be deadly if mixed with alcohol or taken in high doses.