Passers-by break down doors to rescue sleeping pair from Dewsbury flat fire

Fire Service.Generic Fire engine and Fire service officers for Scarborough.Picture Richard Ponter 132217f
Fire Service.Generic Fire engine and Fire service officers for Scarborough.Picture Richard Ponter 132217f

A man and a woman were rescued by a group of passers-by who saw their flat on fire in the early hours of this morning.

The three men and a woman were walking past the property at Gladstone Court on Staincliffe Road in Westborough, Dewsbury, shortly before 1am when they saw flames through a window and heard a smoke alarm.

They broke down doors to get into the flat and found a 37-year-old woman and a 28-year-old man asleep.

The pair were led to safety before fire crews from Dewsbury arrived.

They were given oxygen therapy at the scene before being taken to hospital after suffering smoke inhalation.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze was started by an overheated chip pan.