DCSIMG

UPDATE: Workers cause blaze in clock tower of Ossett Town Hall

editorial image

editorial image

A fire in the clock tower of Ossett Town Hall was caused by a council worker’s heat gun.

Wakefield Council workers are currently renovating the clock tower.

And this morning the heat from a tool, used to remove paint, set fire to rotten timber work.

Three fire crews were called just after 11.15am and were able to get the fire under control quickly.

A spokesman at Ossett fire station said: “Due to the workmen’s quick actions we were able to be on the scene within seconds.

“The fire was inside the top of the clock tower and we were able to gain access and extinguish it using one hose reel.”

Appliances from Dewsbury and Ossett attended including one with an aerial pump which was not needed.

Wakefield Council’s Director of Finance, Property and Resources Judith Badger said: “A small fire was reported in the clock tower at Ossett Town Hall where renovations are taking place. The fire service attended and we are assessing the damage caused.”

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page